How dark are blue marans eggs?

Not sure if its funny, sad, ridiculous or?
But I'm dead serious.
Used a few cabinets in the past and always wished they were a bit bigger and a bit different in design. I get better hatch rates in the hovabators.
I've been wanting to build a cabinet then duplicate it when needed.
Problem is I keep going back to thinking I could build a walk in cheaper then a couple cabinets and have the capacity to hold more eggs then if ever need to.
Hold up is I can't decide on a design that would be best for even temps throughout and good circulation. I think that might be the toughest challenge with one that big.

I ordered a bigger incubator:oops: or now hold twice as many eggs! I’ll try to put my old one on eBay when it arrives, if it works. :)
I keep my extra bators and use as "hatchers". ;) Now I can set eggs EVERY single week! :oops: :lol:

I actually LOVED my hovabator 1602N... and get some of my best hatches from it... with SOME manipulation... my house stays too cold for it to reach temp, but added blankets that don't cover air holes and it's surprisingly good for the price!

I wish people who are into Marans would understand... that if you are collecting eggs from the SAME hen... it doesn't matter whether it is the darkest or lightest of the season or week... genetically the eggs have the SAME potential, that doesn't change. I simply don't keep birds that can't produce the right the shade on a regular basis as set forth according to the Marans SOP... whether they be blue, black, splash, wheaten, or any other color. In MY flock the Blue copper Marans eggs are equal in color to my black copper eggs... and again don't forget the offspring egg shade is heavily influenced by the sire. I discovered that some people use this whole lighter/darker thing to differentiate between older and newer layers so they only set young eggs... My older layers still rock in their color, but the egg size is Jumbo. I won't keep bird I can't set eggs from as MY way of keeping it simple (and efficient/affordable). :)

I simply don't keep birds that can't produce the right the shade on a regular basis as set forth according to the Marans SOP... whether they be blue, black, splash, wheaten, or any other color. In MY flock the Blue copper Marans eggs are equal in color to my black copper eggs... and again don't forget the offspring egg shade is heavily influenced by the sire.
I'm so new to all this but the breeder I have been getting them from is lovely and runs the most amazing tree'ed gorgeous runs and coops for the 4 different breeds he has and all his eggs are a lovely colour (not 9s but pretty good - maybe 7's). He is retired and it is just a hobby but I knwo he drives all over France to pick up new blood etc. Thank you for confirming the lack of difference for the colour of birds, makes me feel better as I really love the blues but want dark eggs too! I'll be sure to update when I get my first egg in the next couple of weeks (hopefully!). I need to put a pick up of my little one too to see if you guys can tell me what sex I have @Spartan22 helped me out (correctly!) with my first 2!

@The Moonshiner if the hen is a white leghorn and roo is a RIR, don’t i have sex links?
Yes.
Hens will have a reddish hue as chicks and look like a golden comet as adults.
Males will be yellow as chicks and mostly white as adults.
A lot will say a leghorn won't work because they're dominate white. Heard it so much I believed it myself for a while.
Dominate white will show with just one copy but dominate white even with two copies doesn't do much for covering gold/red so it shows on the pullets.

Yes.
Hens will have a reddish hue as chicks and look like a golden comet as adults.
Males will be yellow as chicks and mostly white as adults.
A lot will say a leghorn won't work because they're dominate white. Heard it so much I believed it myself for a while.
Dominate white will show with just one copy but dominate white even with two copies doesn't do much for covering gold/red so it shows on the pullets.
:woot also instead of 6 there are now 9 eggs in my incubator. 6 on day 3 (1 white leghorn/sex link and the rest are mixed) ... 3 on day 1 (1 double yolk and 2 white leghorn/sex link) the

@The Moonshiner Day 5 double yolker:
7899AFDE-5BC1-494A-8CFC-E6D714DE3CEA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom