How did I get a "splash" chick?

Peppercorngal

Crowing
6 Years
Feb 5, 2018
Feather Falls, CA
Mom is white leghorn and Dad is either white jersey giant (I think he's the dad!) or amerucana/wellsummer mix. Looks like I got a couple of "splash" looking chicks! I don't get genetics and wonder how this happened? Can I make it happen again?

little splash girl 2.jpg

little splash girl.jpg

This is Dad (I think), and then Mom. I've only gotten black chicks before with Harvey, but I didn't have leghorns before.
big harvey next to hen.jpg Leghorn head.jpg

Paint is heterozygous white on a extended Black background(it Also works on Silver Birchen background) the only breed that is exclusevly based on this pattern is the Erminett, but another breed that include this pattern is the Silky and the utility Cross The California White
Ok, it is making some sense to me because Harvey, my white rooster is actually dominant black! Every chick from him before the white leghorns has been black. Thanks!

He is paint.
The Leghorn is dominant white while the the Jersey Giant is recessive white.
The recessive white hides, revealing the black underneath.
Dominant white is really only incompletely dominant.
Dominant white II plus black ii gives you paint Ii.
Handsome Jersey Giant, by the way.

He is paint.
Dominant white II plus black ii gives you paint Ii.
Handsome Jersey Giant, by the way.
The correct nomenclature is:

Dominant White is: I/I
Recessive White is: c/c
Solid Black is: E/E, i+/i+, C+/C+

White Leghorns are: E/E, I/I, C+/C+

White Jersey Giants are: E/E, i+/i+, c/c

The Cross of both breeds are: E/E, I/i+, C+/c

When describing genetic in symbols one needs to pay attention how to note them. Dominant genes are Capitalized and take precedence over the recessive gene, the plus sign indicates the wildtype nature of the gene, for example the i+ is recessive to I and it's found on the original Red Jungle Fowl, other wise people would not be aware if the gene is a mutation or the original expression of a wildtype gene

Last edited:
But what about the "not so wise" others?
You start worrying about getting everything laid out perfect and all the correct terminology etc. It sometimes looks overwhelming, can get confusing and goes over the heads of some.
Sometimes its better for a newbie to keep it simple. Makes it easier to learn and if theyre like I was not so technical looking that it bores them.

Back
Top Bottom