How did this happen?

Glashavenfarm

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2018
I just joined because I have been stumped over this for weeks. I live in the boondocks. There are no other chickens around me. My flock is 3 to 5 years old. I have a little of everything : altsteirer, black marans, lavender marans, ayam cemani , buff orpington, Barred Rock, Rhode Island red, black silkie, Iowa blue, Ameracauna and silver Wyandotte. Four hens, for the first time, went broody this year. I let them all do whatever they wanted and they hatched out about a dozen babies. So one is 10 weeks old now and I am just floored because it is a gold laced Wyandotte! I do not have nor have I ever had one. How can this be? I'll try to get a picture in the morning as its dusk right now, but I have Googled it repeatedly just to be sure I'm not crazy.

I just joined because I have been stumped over this for weeks. I live in the boondocks. There are no other chickens around me. My flock is 3 to 5 years old. I have a little of everything : altsteirer, black marans, lavender marans, ayam cemani , buff orpington, Barred Rock, Rhode Island red, black silkie, Iowa blue, Ameracauna and silver Wyandotte. Four hens, for the first time, went broody this year. I let them all do whatever they wanted and they hatched out about a dozen babies. So one is 10 weeks old now and I am just floored because it is a gold laced Wyandotte! I do not have nor have I ever had one. How can this be? I'll try to get a picture in the morning as its dusk right now, but I have Googled it repeatedly just to be sure I'm not crazy.
You have silver Wyandotte, right? And you also have buff orpingtons right? That crossing would make incomplete golden laced

Pic would be interesting to see ...
What breed Roos do you have? Hens?
There is a thread here with someone cross a LO with at BO got Golden Laced feathering. BlackHackle got a possibility, another is your Lavender Maran x Buff?

Okay I finally got close enough to get a fairly decent picture of her even though it was barely daylight. Let's see if I can actually upload these right . So the darker feathers have been falling out and when the replacements come they're the gold. Also I should have clarified my Roo are 2 ayam cemani and one altsteirer; he is my avatar.

Attachments

• 20180720_182803.jpg
    20180720_182803.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 19
  • 20180718_075204.jpg
    20180718_075204.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 16
Hmm... I don't know much about mixed breeds yet. But, if I ventured a guess, I would think your Altsteirer is the daddy, and Buff Orpington or Rhode Island Red the mama. I'm leaning toward the Buff O, because she has pale legs. Let's see what the genetics buffs say.

Back
Top Bottom