How Did You Discover BYC?

Hi all, I found the site when I first bought my girls home. Thought I knew all about keeping chickens from the banties we had as kids...! Was I wrong especially when I got a really deformed egg. Posted the pic a couple of months ago & recieved replies straight away.
I started out with 4 Rhode Island Reds...they have fantastic personalities. Added 2 more within a few weeks. Last Saturday I took in a "lost hen " of the same type. Haven't let her loose with the girls yet as her comb is pail & droopy. Could this be cause her diet consisted of breakfast cereal & frozen mixed veg...??
Anyway love the site but have been a bit shy...!!! Found it through a google search.
Cheers Andrea from Adelaide

Let's see.....hmm....

I think it was winter/spring of 04 that I decided I reeeealy wanted chickens again. Dh argues about living in a subdivision with neighbors within a short stones throw across the fence of our small back yard, but I didn't let that deter me. So I decided to do some homework on the net and found BYC probably through google. I didn't have to read much to find that my circumstances would in no way slow down my ambitions. So I joined, asked lots of questions, convinced dh, and we began coop building. A few weeks later acquired a few Jap chicks, who we moved into a comfortable 2-story coop, and let free range our yard. And so it goes......

wow a two story coop beckyLa,
do you have pics on here? i would like to see
jumpy.gif

The footprint is only 4x4' and the highest point is 5' something, but here it is:

This is the front. The bottom opens in front and back. It has a wire floor and I keep water & dust pan here.

MVC-250F.jpg

This is the bottom with both doors open showing the waterer, dust pan, and ramp going upstairs.

MVC-273F.jpg

This is the top showing the roost and the opening for the nest box which is on the outside. It doesn't show here but the hanging feeder is to the left. Both side doors open for easier access.

MVC-491F.jpg

Well, to start off I have always loved chickens and Roosters. My Grandparents had them when I was a young child and I had 2 as an adult. Then I had to part with them
sad.png
Well my kids and my husband plotted together to get me a coop built for my birthday (which isn't until May) and they were gonna get me some chicks. Must say though, hubby spilled the beans or can I say chick feed
lau.gif
. I asked what was going on and they told what they were going to do, So I started a research online to find the best and hardiest layers that is considered very kind and I also ran across the BYC website and I thought "how cool" so I signed up and, then I rushed out and over the course of 3 weeks I have wound up with 45 chicks total. I bought RIR's, Golden Reds, White Leghorns, BSL's & 1 Brown Leghorn
fl.gif
Now my hubby says why didn't you wait till the coop was done and I told him that I have checked with alot of hatcheries and they said all they would have available in May would be males. Hince the name the chick crew.
gig.gif

I have learned so much through this forum and I thank each and every member for all their input and willingness to help others. Thanks again.

I wanted to get the kids some chicks for Easter, but realized that I had a lot to learn before I got them. I did a search on Yahoo trying to find some info. on raising chickens and here I am!!! An addicted to BYC, chicken lover! I have learned more here than I could have in any book that I have read. Everyone on here has been so friendly and knowledgeable. I also feel like I have made some friends and it gives me an opportunity to chat with adults, which is a much needed thing when you homeschool! Thanks for hosting such a wonderful forum!!!
smile.png

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I also was doing some searching for information before I purchased my chicks. We were starting the process of building the coop when my research went into overdrive! I am pretty sure that I found this wonderful, helpful and friendly site on Google but for the life me can't think what I had searched for. I can tell you I have it bookmarked now!!!

Thanks to all for any advise you may give me in the future or for just posting because it ALL come in handy at one time or another.

Cheers from Texas,
Liza

Back
Top Bottom