How do I calculate how much moisture is lost in eggs?

Brandysgirls

Chirping
May 15, 2020
I had a cabinet incubator built out of a Sundrop cooler and I made a water wiggler and the camp is holding a perfect 99.5 in the water wiggler so I'm so happy about that!! I have had some bad hatches here in Alabama and chicks died from drowning so I started doing dry hatches and finally hatched some chicks!!! I ordered a pair of digital scales so I can start laying my eggs and calculating whether or not they lost 13% of their weight that way I can better control if the humidity needs to go up or down..does anybody know an easy way to calculate it because I'm not a math genius and I've looked up a lot about it online but it looks so hard and I just can't figure out how to do it. Is there a way to take the amount they weighed and figure it out on a calculator and if so cuz somebody please tell me how 🙏plz!!!

Oh my
Original weight minus current weight equals weight lost. Weight lost divided by original weight times 100 equals percent weight lost.

Example:

100 grams (original weight) minus 87 grams (current weight) equals 13 grams (weight lost).

13 grams (weight lost) divided by 100 grams (original weight) equals 0.13.

0.13 times 100 equals 13%.
Oh my gosh thank you so so so very much!!!I tried to Google it and figure out how to do it but there wasn't an example they just told you how to do it and that was so confusing to me!! I'm a person that learns by visual stimulation 😂

Personally, I just candle the egg before adding it to the 'bator, mark the air cell size with a pencil, and track the air cell growth throughout incubation. If the cell is growing too fast or too slow, I adjust the humidity as necessary. Works for me, but I'm sure somene else has a more accurate way to do it. :confused:

Personally, I just candle the egg before adding it to the 'bator, mark the air cell size with a pencil, and track the air cell growth throughout incubation. If the cell is growing too fast or too slow, I adjust the humidity as necessary. Works for me, but I'm sure somene else has a more accurate way to do it. :confused:
I am brand new at this and I just started hatching a month ago 😬 I have been trying to go by the air cell size but even though I thought I did a great job two of the chicks never hatched and two of them I had to help out of the shell although I thought the air sales looked perfect so I was hoping maybe someone could tell me how to get the answer to the problem what is 13% of let's just say 6.25 😂I don't know what 13% of that number is so I'm hoping somebody knows how I can figure that out with a calculator lol

I am brand new at this and I just started hatching a month ago 😬 I have been trying to go by the air cell size but even though I thought I did a great job two of the chicks never hatched and two of them I had to help out of the shell although I thought the air sales looked perfect so I was hoping maybe someone could tell me how to get the answer to the problem what is 13% of let's just say 6.25 😂I don't know what 13% of that number is so I'm hoping somebody knows how I can figure that out with a calculator lol
To find out what 13% of any number is, multiply the number times 0.13.

13% of 6.25 is 0.8125.

6.25 times 0.13 equals 0.8125

I recommend that you read Hatching Eggs 101 by @Sally Sunshine . It is broken down into sections. It contains all the information you need to know about hatching poultry eggs.

The tare weight is for when you use a container to hold whatever you are weighing. Place the container on the scale, press tare and the scale will now read zero. The purpose of the tare weight is so that you don't have to subtract the container's weight from the total of what you are weighing.

I had a cabinet incubator built out of a Sundrop cooler and I made a water wiggler and the camp is holding a perfect 99.5 in the water wiggler so I'm so happy about that!! I have had some bad hatches here in Alabama and chicks died from drowning so I started doing dry hatches and finally hatched some chicks!!! I ordered a pair of digital scales so I can start laying my eggs and calculating whether or not they lost 13% of their weight that way I can better control if the humidity needs to go up or down..does anybody know an easy way to calculate it because I'm not a math genius and I've looked up a lot about it online but it looks so hard and I just can't figure out how to do it. Is there a way to take the amount they weighed and figure it out on a calculator and if so cuz somebody please tell me how 🙏plz!!!
Original weight minus current weight equals weight lost. Weight lost divided by original weight times 100 equals percent weight lost.

Example:

100 grams (original weight) minus 87 grams (current weight) equals 13 grams (weight lost).

Example:

So I weighed each egg on day 1.. there gaining weight not losing weight😬I just weighed again on day 8 ..example is number 1 egg weighed 34.82 grams on day 1 ..day 8 it weighs 51.76...so that can't be right..I'm so confused plz help😭I posted a picture to show u what they weighed today on day 8!!I also posted my calculations but it says 50%.. gosh I'm confused .I thought they would lose weight not gain weight?

Attachments

• 15967374566232058735860720834170.jpg
    15967374566232058735860720834170.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 15967374904284604031414934049790.jpg
    15967374904284604031414934049790.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 5
So I weighed each egg on day 1.. there gaining weight not losing weight😬I just weighed again on day 8 ..example is number 1 egg weighed 34.82 grams on day 1 ..day 8 it weighs 51.76...so that can't be right..I'm so confused plz help😭I posted a picture to show u what they weighed today on day 8!!I also posted my calculations but it says 50%.. gosh I'm confused .I thought they would lose weight not gain weight?
I don't know what kind of eggs that you have but my guess is that your original weights are wrong.

Back
Top Bottom