1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I clip my roosters toe nails

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SimonRooster, May 5, 2015.

1. SimonRooster

SimonRooster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2015
    How do I clip my rooster's toe nails? They have gotten too long and are starting to curl...

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    You can use regular nail clippers or pet nail clippers. Just don't clip too short or they will bleed just like a dog's nails will bleed if they are cut too short. Look for the vain in the nail and just clip the tip of the nail off. If it does happen to bleed a little you could use flower to stop the bleeding.

3. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    You can also grind them if you have a Dremel. It goes much faster and there's less chance you'll quick the nail.

4. SimonRooster

SimonRooster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2015
    Great, thanks! I just wanted to make sure his nails wouldn't bleed.

5. faro

faro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    Perryville, MO
    My rooster is tearing up my hens! Not a one has feathers on their backs. It's hard to see them this way.

6. birds4kids

birds4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    In cases like this would it be beneficial to give them some scratch grains on a more abrasive surface? Get them to file them down the natural way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by