How do I convince my parents to let me get chickens?

ChickenHopeful83

Chirping
Apr 1, 2019
Hello everyone! I am a young teen girl hoping for chickens. I have it all planned out, with everything laid out, I know how many I can get and what breed to get and where I will put the coop and how I will build it. I am just not sure how to ask my parents. Can you help me? We also have a dog. Will that be a problem? Thanks!

Before you ask please remember that these are animals that need caring for on a constant basis. Especially when they are young. If you’re up to it they are an enjoyable animal that teaches responsibility and they provide you with eggs. Explain to your parents that you want to take this responsibility and hopefully they will believe you.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens :frow:welcome
07312521-8C85-4BC5-AA59-64C61A64EAD8.jpeg

When I convinced my parents, I showed them that I had all the information that I needed. At random times I would go on and on about how chickens should be properly kept and random facts that nobody in my family knew about chickens, along with benefits you don’t usually think about. I would show them photos of the breeds of chickens I wanted, and all about that breed and their temperament and eggs. My parents were impressed I knew so much and they could tell I really wanted them. I did some work around the house and earned some money to pay for the chicks. I made sure everything was perfect and planned. I made promises that this was my duty and the only thing they would have to do is help me build a coop.
Now here I am years later and my flock has grown. My family fully supports me in having chickens and they enjoy them too.
I wish you luck! :love

I think most parents are keen to see their children engage in activities that help them grow their knowledge and show that they can take on responsibilities and follow through with the obligations that come along.

I would guess that your current behaviors will influence how your parents will react. Do you help with things around the house (regularly clean your room, take care of your brothers/sisters, respond when you are asked to help, etc)? If the answer is yes you will be in a better position.

As to how to approach your parents I suggest that you MAKE A PLAN and write it down.
  • Where will the birds be kept (both coop and outside run)? How will those spaces be built?
  • List the various work tasks that will be needed to take care of the birds and indicate how you will be able to carry out those tasks on a daily, weekly, etc. basis.
  • Try your best to figure out how much money it will cost to get started and then keep going over the months and years that the birds will live.
  • List the benefits that will come from having chickens (eggs, amusement, fertilizer for the garden, etc.).
  • Figure out realistically how long it will take to get started.
  • ??? other things you may think of.
Most parents will not expect a teen to do everything needed to undertake all of the things in your plan. If the plan makes sense, if they see that you are serious, if the family circumstances (where you live, other pets, available money, etc) make it possible you stand a much better chance of convincing them to help you in getting and looking after a small flock of chickens. If there is something that prevents them from saying yes, figure out what that is and what you can do to diminish it's importance.

This forum has many members that would love to help you to get started. If you have questions just ask (as you have already done) and you will get great suggestions. They will even help you with your plan once you get some basics written down. Keep asking.

Best of luck!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom