How do I get a used brooder clean?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 2mnypetz, May 21, 2017.

1. 2mnypetz

2mnypetz In the Brooder

May 19, 2017
    I did a search & can't find what I'm looking for, but I'm sure it's been addressed before & I apologize. But my problem is that I bought a "chick" coop from a friend that still smells bad after I cleaned it. It's in pretty bad shape, with the bottom & sides made of particle board. I've already cut wood to put over that stuff so the chicks don't get splinters, but I don't want to put the wood on top of "stinky"! What can I use on particle board to get it clean & get rid of the smell, that won't harm the chicks when they go in?

Also, is there any danger that they might catch a disease from a used brooder? Like I said, I've cleaned it & it's been in the sun for days, but that awful thought just came to me today.

I have 9 five day old chicks in a big tub & that's working for now, but I need to get them into something bigger pretty quickly. Any advice? Thank you!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Crowing

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I would use a bleach water mixture to spray on it---well to be honest I would not want to deal with the particle board. Is it particle board or the wafer/chip type plywood.

Sure a chicken can get a disease from a coop, but if its cleaned good and sterilized good, it should be ok. Plus most diseases only live a short life if they are in a coop that has not been used in a while.

3. 2mnypetz

2mnypetz In the Brooder

May 19, 2017
    I guess I don't know the difference. I know it's crap, and that's why I'm putting boards over it. But, do you mean you wouldn't even bother cleaning it & using it at all? Why not?

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Crowing

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Particle board will go to pieces if it gets wet---I think you are talking about plywood that looks like its made from pressed together chips.

To be honest ""I"" do not buy coops---I make my own---and if it was "particle board"---I would not want it even if it was a deal. If its the wafer board---that will some-what hold up for a decent amount of time---I would use it if I got if cheap with some chickens.

5. 2mnypetz

2mnypetz In the Brooder

May 19, 2017
    We're making our own coop, but I'm trying to make this work for the chicks until they can be outside. I'm sorry I troubled you with my pathetic, uninformed question.

6. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Crowing

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    You have not troubled me at all!! Spray some bleach mix on it after you get it as clean as you can----that should fix it!!

7. 2mnypetz

2mnypetz In the Brooder

May 19, 2017
    Thank you. That's all I wanted to know, and I would have appreciated it if you had just told me that without the condescension. Every expert was once a beginner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: