How do I get a used brooder clean?

2mnypetz

In the Brooder
May 19, 2017
I did a search & can't find what I'm looking for, but I'm sure it's been addressed before & I apologize. But my problem is that I bought a "chick" coop from a friend that still smells bad after I cleaned it. It's in pretty bad shape, with the bottom & sides made of particle board. I've already cut wood to put over that stuff so the chicks don't get splinters, but I don't want to put the wood on top of "stinky"! What can I use on particle board to get it clean & get rid of the smell, that won't harm the chicks when they go in?

Also, is there any danger that they might catch a disease from a used brooder? Like I said, I've cleaned it & it's been in the sun for days, but that awful thought just came to me today.

I have 9 five day old chicks in a big tub & that's working for now, but I need to get them into something bigger pretty quickly. Any advice? Thank you!

I would use a bleach water mixture to spray on it---well to be honest I would not want to deal with the particle board. Is it particle board or the wafer/chip type plywood.

Sure a chicken can get a disease from a coop, but if its cleaned good and sterilized good, it should be ok. Plus most diseases only live a short life if they are in a coop that has not been used in a while.

I would use a bleach water mixture to spray on it---well to be honest I would not want to deal with the particle board. Is it particle board or the wafer/chip type plywood.

Sure a chicken can get a disease from a coop, but if its cleaned good and sterilized good, it should be ok. Plus most diseases only live a short life if they are in a coop that has not been used in a while.

I guess I don't know the difference. I know it's crap, and that's why I'm putting boards over it. But, do you mean you wouldn't even bother cleaning it & using it at all? Why not?

I guess I don't know the difference. I know it's crap, and that's why I'm putting boards over it. But, do you mean you wouldn't even bother cleaning it & using it at all? Why not?
Particle board will go to pieces if it gets wet---I think you are talking about plywood that looks like its made from pressed together chips.

To be honest ""I"" do not buy coops---I make my own---and if it was "particle board"---I would not want it even if it was a deal. If its the wafer board---that will some-what hold up for a decent amount of time---I would use it if I got if cheap with some chickens.

Particle board will go to pieces if it gets wet---I think you are talking about plywood that looks like its made from pressed together chips.

To be honest ""I"" do not buy coops---I make my own---and if it was "particle board"---I would not want it even if it was a deal. If its the wafer board---that will some-what hold up for a decent amount of time---I would use it if I got if cheap with some chickens.
We're making our own coop, but I'm trying to make this work for the chicks until they can be outside. I'm sorry I troubled you with my pathetic, uninformed question.

We're making our own coop, but I'm trying to make this work for the chicks until they can be outside. I'm sorry I troubled you with my pathetic, uninformed question.
You have not troubled me at all!! Spray some bleach mix on it after you get it as clean as you can----that should fix it!!

Thank you. That's all I wanted to know, and I would have appreciated it if you had just told me that without the condescension. Every expert was once a beginner.

Back
Top Bottom