How do I get my ducks to like me?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Quackstiel, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Quackstiel

Quackstiel In the Brooder

Jun 27, 2018
    I got duck about a week ago from rural king. They were already a little older I think. But the are so scared of everything and hate being handled. What do I do to get them ok with being handled and to like me. I have two Welsh harlequin ducklings I think about 2-4 weeks old.

2. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    Give them time and give them treats:). Animals are not like people, you must earn their trust over time:)

Quackstiel and Miss Lydia like this.
  3. shawluvsbirds

shawluvsbirds "FAKE EILLEEN"

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    Time and patience. And of course treats :p
    Try not to come at them from above, they hate that due to natural instincts to beware of threats from the sky.
    Don't move too fast around them, slow and steady movements.
    Try not to Chase them Unless you absolutely have to. Get down on the floor or ground with them and just let them get comfortable with your presence. I've found ducks to be very curious and they usually can't resist eventually coming closer to see what your doing :lol:
    Also at that age they are probably staring to grow some feathers and they will go through a spell of hating to be touched even if they had been bonded to you previously. . I guess it doesn't feel too good when those feathers are starting to poke through their skin. :hmm
    In time they should learn to trust you, or at least come close for food. However a lot of them don't ever necessarily love be petted and handled much. Don't take it personally they are just being ducks. :p

Quackstiel, Miss Lydia and CayugaJana like this.
  4. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    I would say mine are pretty tame. And the only way I get to pet mine is when I put treats on the ground. I pet them while they are eating. They tolerate it. But once the food is gone, they don’t want anything to do with it.

5. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia

Some days are like this. some she is terrified

6. thumper650

thumper650 Songster

Mar 10, 2018
    Maynard, MA
    Mine are the same, they like to follow me, but it's mostly when food is involved.

Miss Lydia, CayugaJana and CrystaBub like this.
  7. CrystaBub

CrystaBub Introducing Rosy and Posy!

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    I got a new 3.5 month old duck on Saturday and we’re still working on our relationship. ;) I made progress today by just laying on the grass with her - and she sweetly pecked at me. Usually she stays 4 feet from me and just looks me up and down! Patience is hard when they are so dang cute and you want to cuddle them! My 2 other ducks I’ve raised from 1 week old. They will play with me and eat out of my hand. But even they don’t like to be picked up and play time is on their schedule - they decide when they want me lol. I’ll take what I can get.

Good luck - I’m sure you’ll be the best of friends before you know it!!

8. Quackstiel

Quackstiel In the Brooder

Jun 27, 2018
    Thanks for all the feed back it's really helped

shawluvsbirds and CrystaBub like this.
  9. CrystaBub

CrystaBub Introducing Rosy and Posy!

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: