How do I get my mallards to leave and do their own thing?

Where are you located because if they are use to your for food and care they will starve in winter if they don't fly off when the other wild Mallards leave. If your intention is to cut off feed eventually. Ever thought of plan 2 since they are your ducks make them another pen and house if they don't fly off the way you'd like?
We are in central Virginia

Do wild Mallards stick around there during winter? here in Western NC mountains they migrate. Just wondering what food sources are available over winter in case they stick around? I'd def try and rehome before really cold weather sets in. Separating from the other domestics sounds like your only alternative if they don't leave on their own or you can rehome. Try your state thread at “where am I where are you”.

Last edited:
The Mallards at our town park are still here - I’m in VA also. I like the idea of getting another separate set up for the Mallards - close to the pond. :DYou may have to keep feeding them through a Winter unless you can find them a new home. Maybe they will move on in the Spring when more food is available elsewhere and they can fly to find it.

If ya dont want them the best option would be to try to sell them to someone.

As they have been raised with you, and have been brought from a hatchery, there is a chance that they will fly away but it would be more likly that they will hang around your property.

I would either butcher the males, or find a separate place for them. I would not quit feeding them but that’s just me. They haven’t been taught how to fend for their own food. I’ve seen some neat setups where there are islands out in the middle of the pond for protection from land predators.
I"ve seen those setups too - they are wonderful - good idea!

We are considering rehoming (though you can't ever know what the end result will be for them, so not my first choice), and we have also tossed around the idea of an island in our pond. This is our first year raising chickens and ducks, which is why I posted to this thread asking for suggestions and what realistic expectations could be. Thank you to those that have tried to give me ideas and suggestions.

A couple of you've been a little harsh though. Someone referenced the catalog picture that I posted , but I am not reading it the way they did . It says "true to their habit as migratory birds, these birds will fly".. the updated online catalog even adds after that sentence "away for the winter, but will often return to the same location in the spring." I don't want for them to starve, and I don't mind if they stay on our pond and property. In fact, that was my intention all along, that they could stay if they liked but that it wouldn't break my heart if they left. And in taking them on as my responsibility, this was my expectation. What I need them to leave from is my pen. When they are put up overnight and then till I let them out in the morning, unlike a large outdoor pond and yard area, in the pen the male pekin just doesn't have anywhere to go to get away from them. Every day since they've been old enough, they have gone down to the pond and foraged until sunset. They actually take very little food while in the pen, but they are in the habit of coming back to it at night with the others. So again, I was here looking for solutions, not to be called irresponsible or cruel.

I forgot you are in VA - if you decide to keep them, I just saw a floating house on CL this week - I'll see if I can find it - I can't remember what area it was in. I also saw another duck house somewhere near Richmond - that I do remember b/c I was thinking of getting it for some rescue ducks. Good luck to you - I don't think you're cruel or you wouldn't have posted here for ideas. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom