How do i get my silkie to roost?

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
hi..i have 2 chickens that wont roost...my silkie hen, and her lover boy silkie mix roo...
my question is..i dont want them sleeping on the floor of the coop anymore...how do i get them to start roosting on a low perch?
I already put one in there for them, right where they sleep...but..no..
roll.png
..thay just sleep under the thing now...
barnie.gif
also, i will probably be giving away the roo soon(cant really have them)...and so i'm scared that she will freeze being all alone on the floor this winter...what should i do? thanks, Wendy

Last edited:
but..i'm afraid that she will freeze this winter here..all by herself...

Thats cute! I was surprised to find out that silkies are Bottom dwellers too! Thats why I have little dog houses inside my coops, which are tarp covered kennels, for them. They are really hardy actually, but they love to snuggle on the ground in deep bedding. I only have one kinda different gal, she's a black silkie, she likes to use a wooden ladder, the top rung no less! She's special though!
Silkies are not "roosters"....
Tina

My 3 Silkeys sleep on the floor of the tractor balcony. Most often, but not always in the door, which I assume is colder. Two snuggle with one nearby. When you mention it they seem to spend most of the time on the floor days to. They are really getting fluffier as it gets cool. Tonight the dummies almost spent the night under the tree where the tractor was. I assumed they could find the new location 15 feet away after free-ranging

well if its freezing, you should probably put a heat lamp in there anyway. Chickens are tough and have survived winters long before we had them in coops.... she will be fine. if it gets near the freezing mark, put a heat lamp in there. otherwise just block the cold wind.

Oh, about her being alone, Snowball sleeps by himself. He's too mean for anyone else to let him near them...so he sleeps in a corner of the "barn"...he'll be fine. You could get her a blanket or a stuffed pet, if it will keep her warmer? Why not get a couple more silkies? She may just get up and perch if she gets too cold!
Tina

I've been placing mine on the roost bar for the last 2 nights (since we got the coop finished and they have one now) and my 2 youngest won't stay on it... but my 2 black one's go up on their own. My oldest was on the first night and off tonight. So its a hit and miss. I think they will watch the others do it and eventually venture up on their own to be close.

I'm just going to place them on it myself for awhile until they are willing on thier own.
hmm.png

okay thanks guys!..i'll put a lamp on her this winter....thanks for the advice...i've been fretting abou tthis since its been getting pretty cold here....*sigh*, now i just gotta get over feeling bad, cause i have to take her lover boy away from her..THATS gonna be tough for me...
hit.gif
..i dont like doing things like that....but, i dont want my neighbors to get mad about me having a roo...ooh well..thanks again guys..appreciate it!

Last edited:
Ooh, good idea tfpets!..i'll put a stuffed animal down there with her!...thanks!..
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom