How do I get the light off in the coop? They are scared of the dark.

I have an ecoglow- I highly recommend it if you brood chicks in the future. Since day 1 my chicks have known the difference between night and day. The have been out in the coop (but not the run yet- it's almost finished!) for a week. It rained for a week, so I turned the light on out there for them even during the day. I turn it off before it started to get dark. In the off chance I forget and turn it off later, and it's a little darker in the coop... they cheep loudly in protest. Even though they already know night and day. "OH MY GOODNESS THE LIGHT SUDDENLY TURNED OFF! THE SKY IS FALLING!"
lol.png
They calm down after a few minutes.
wink.png

D.gif

Last edited:
I thought I was the only one worried about turning off the lights. My first 4 chicks. 4 weeks old, outside during the day and still in brooder at night. Still a big cool at night. I turned off the brooder light, warm in the garage and just turned on a 40 watt bulb away from the brooder. They get just a little light and they have been dropping off to sleep after all day outside. They were never so quiet as the last week.

Mine were done with the heat lamp at 4 weeks. So we went to a simple 60 watt light bulb during the day and a little at night, just because the brooder was so dark and they had to eat. I guess that was enough for them to be fine in the coop cause there was no ruckus last night.

I would tell you that I'd just flick the switch off, but I've never had electricity (or water) ran to my Coop since I built it nearly two decades ago. (See my BYC page for Pics). If my brooded chicks/keets had any problem with moving to the Coop once they feathered out, they didn't tell me about it. I use a introduction cage to get them use to the Coop/Adults & established flock.

36435_introcage.jpg

Well the girlies r still in the basement in the brooder while we finish up a few things on the coop and enclosed run. with the brooder we have had a white light on from morning to evening and the red lamp on at night. Tonight all the lights r out...and I haven't heard a peep at all! I'm very nervous! SHouldn't they b making some noise? Have i scared them so bad they r just huddling together and not chirping? I don't have any way to sneak down and check on them without them knowing!! the brooder is right at the bottom of the basement steps. should i just say as long as i don't hear anything it's fine? What do I do??
hu.gif
idunno.gif

Quote:
Use a penlight or a small flashlight to slip down and check on them if it'll make you feel better. If they're quiet, it's probaby cuz they are sound asleep.

Thanks for this thread! My 6 week olds are FREAKING OUT when it's bed time and the lights go off. They're in the house for the next 2 weeks until the finishing touches are put on the coop and I've even started turning the lights off one by one every 10 min in the house starting at just after dusk, thinking it'll help to ease them into darkness... Nope, they still freak out. I've noticed they do tend to calm down now about 10ish min after lights out. I've heard of banker's hours but since they're in my living room I've started keeping "Chicken Hours" lol!!!

Thanks for this thread! My 6 week olds are FREAKING OUT when it's bed time and the lights go off. They're in the house for the next 2 weeks until the finishing touches are put on the coop and I've even started turning the lights off one by one every 10 min in the house starting at just after dusk, thinking it'll help to ease them into darkness... Nope, they still freak out. I've noticed they do tend to calm down now about 10ish min after lights out. I've heard of banker's hours but since they're in my living room I've started keeping "Chicken Hours" lol!!!

Just realize you are more stressed out over this issue than your chicks. Chickens of all ages freak out over change. They just simply hate any deviation from what they've become used to. Continue what you're doing, and in a very short time, they will adjust.

I used a heat emitter for my 3 chicks rather than a lamp so they have been used to darkness since 1 week old when they arrived.. There nearly 5 and 6 weeks old now and willbeen off heat fully fir a few days they will be going out into coop this weekend..

Back
Top Bottom