How do I give new chicks to a broody (?) Hen

The problem may be more with the chicks than the hen. I've introduced chicks we've hatched to a hen that only hatched one, the introduced chicks wanted nothing to do with her. She tried and tried to get them to stay with her but they kept running away. Eventually they got with the program but it took awhile.

that's a good sign, in my book, so wear long sleeves and or gloves and move with determination, she'll get over it.
I thought so myself, but I am a NOOB when it comes to actually trying to do this type of thing lol. Second question. What do you feed momma and chicks when they are together? Chicks "need" that growth starter stuff, right? and adults can't have it? Clarification on this part. When I raised my chicks last year, they were in a brooder and I fed them all the stuff I was "supposed to" at the correct ages.

I thought so myself, but I am a NOOB when it comes to actually trying to do this type of thing lol. Second question. What do you feed momma and chicks when they are together? Chicks "need" that growth starter stuff, right? and adults can't have it? Clarification on this part. When I raised my chicks last year, they were in a brooder and I fed them all the stuff I was "supposed to" at the correct ages.

mama gets the same feed as the chicks once they are with her. it's fine for her to get starter, the extra protein may even be a good thing. you can often see how hard brooding is on them by just looking at their feathers, they get dull and washed out sometimes. the extra protein seems to help the feathers and I'm sure it helps put some weight back on.

I will feed chick starter to mama and the babies as long as the other hens don't have access to it. Otherwise, it's an all flock grower. My chicks did just fine on that. I don't want my layers eating medicated chick food - that's why an all flock if they're all together.

Sometimes I put some adult food high up where she can reach it, but the chicks can't. But yes, some chick food is usually good for them after being broody.

As mentioned above, sometimes the chicks run away from the mother. Chicks that she hatched will stay with her because she talks to them as eggs, and they get used to her voice. Introduced chicks don't know the mother's voice and take a while to get used to it and all her commands, including 'come here' and 'stop running away!'. :) They will get used to her though.

Back
Top Bottom