How do I go about having my hen sit on eggs?

shuizar209

Songster
10 Years
Jul 11, 2009
Riverside
I have a silkie that I want to eventually hatch some chickies. The eggs are fertile (complimentary of bean my silkie roo). Do I collect them everyday and then when I have enough put them back in the nest ? Or can I just let them pile up? How do you set it up for your hens? About how many will she lay before she finally sits? I know silkies are supposed to go broody more often and are super moms.

I would leave a few just to give her some inspiration, but it really doesn't matter. One of my Buff Orpingtons went broody after laying one egg.

They will set when they want. I don't know if there is anything you can do to encourage the behaviour.

Last edited:
I wouls tet the eggs stay in the nest. Once she sees the eggs piling up, she will lay about 7-9 and they sit on them. Hens like to lay an odd number of eggs, because they fit better in a cicle or he " Brood patch".

She will go broody, if she does, on her own schedule, when her hormones tell her to. If she does, you will see her on a nest (with or without eggs) essentially 24/7. She willl fluff herself out to look wider. She will pluck some breast feathers to line the nest. She will growl when you approach. Until you see these things, or at least most of them, she will not set on eggs.

Kevin D. :

I wouls tet the eggs stay in the nest. Once she sees the eggs piling up, she will lay about 7-9 and they sit on them. Hens like to lay an odd number of eggs, because they fit better in a cicle or he " Brood patch".

Interesting. That is so wierd.​

You could try setting them in a chair in front of a TV....
th.gif
Sorry bad joke. I have been able to trigger the brood instinct in hens by leaving eggs in the nest. Once they see them piled up for a few days, normally one hen will get the urge and go broody. If you don't want to leave eggs..try 5 golf balls.

Let us know if it works!

Last edited:
With a pencil mark a couple of "nest eggs" and leave them in the nest. Save any eggs after that in an egg box or container in a room temperature or relatively cool spot. Turn them daily, and return to the hen when she goes broody. She will go broody in her own good time. Oh yeah, throw away the "nest eggs". Unless the hen is isolated from the rest of the flock (best case scenario) mark the eggs you give her so that you can remove any that are added to her clutch by the rest of the flock.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Im going to let her eggs pile up and hopefully she sill sit soon. Ill let you know what happens. She is a silkie afterall and is bound to go broody. Ifanyone has any other advice let me know. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom