Zoya,
I'm so sorry about Hamlet. I've never heard of dyed chicks before, and honestly, I'm disgusted by it. I'm so glad that while Hamlet lived she had you though. The care you showed toward her was very admirable. I hope you decide to raise chickens at some point, especially when they are raised from chicks, they are very rewarding.

Love your username, just finished Rule of Wolves. :D

Hi. About two days ago I was gifted a baby chick, I named her hamlet. I set up her little place in a box with newspaper, water and rice (we didn't have any feed), hamlet just layed down and slept. Few moments later she started drinking water and became more alert, chirping loudly and ate some of the rice. On the second day hamlet was doing really well, but she was a bit lethargic, she closed her eyes while standing up and huddled, in panic i did my research and found to feed her some egg yolk for the nutrients. Later that night i left hamlet with some scrambled eggs and water. The next morning she was wet, it seemed like she stepped on her water corner so my parents decided to let her get some sun outside. Later this day hamlet refused water and food, so I heat up a heating pad and she slept beside it for a bit (this is my first time handling a chick so I did not know that they slept like they were dead) I was really anxious and watched her breathing. After a few hamlet was dry and started drinking some sugar water and egg yolk, but it seemed like she pooped a lot too. When i took the heating pad to re-heat it, hamlet cried for a while but still drank her sugar water. She would not eat anything from the ground and only ate the rice from my hand (which was difficult because most of it stuck to her beak or fell so she failed to eat it, but occasionally she'd swallow one or two). I also took hamlet outside her box everyday for 15 minutes so she could run around my room, but today hamlet seemed weaker than usual so i let her hang out for only 5 minutes. Before bed she was chirping really loud, i thought that she was getting cold, so I put up warm water in a bottle and left it in her box (hamlet was a surprise gift so i had no access to heating lamps or bird feed), she hanged out closely to the bottle and fell asleep, while she was sleeping i put up some oatmeal in her food container that she could eat throughout the night. I just wanted to ask, is hamlet sick? what can i do to help her?
How is little pinkie hanging in there today!? Hope she is happy and healthy , she has a caring momma.

Hi. About two days ago I was gifted a baby chick, I named her hamlet. I set up her little place in a box with newspaper, water and rice (we didn't have any feed), hamlet just layed down and slept. Few moments later she started drinking water and became more alert, chirping loudly and ate some of the rice. On the second day hamlet was doing really well, but she was a bit lethargic, she closed her eyes while standing up and huddled, in panic i did my research and found to feed her some egg yolk for the nutrients. Later that night i left hamlet with some scrambled eggs and water. The next morning she was wet, it seemed like she stepped on her water corner so my parents decided to let her get some sun outside. Later this day hamlet refused water and food, so I heat up a heating pad and she slept beside it for a bit (this is my first time handling a chick so I did not know that they slept like they were dead) I was really anxious and watched her breathing. After a few hamlet was dry and started drinking some sugar water and egg yolk, but it seemed like she pooped a lot too. When i took the heating pad to re-heat it, hamlet cried for a while but still drank her sugar water. She would not eat anything from the ground and only ate the rice from my hand (which was difficult because most of it stuck to her beak or fell so she failed to eat it, but occasionally she'd swallow one or two). I also took hamlet outside her box everyday for 15 minutes so she could run around my room, but today hamlet seemed weaker than usual so i let her hang out for only 5 minutes. Before bed she was chirping really loud, i thought that she was getting cold, so I put up warm water in a bottle and left it in her box (hamlet was a surprise gift so i had no access to heating lamps or bird feed), she hanged out closely to the bottle and fell asleep, while she was sleeping i put up some oatmeal in her food container that she could eat throughout the night. I just wanted to ask, is hamlet sick? what can i do to help her?
Just read your post, I’m sorry for the loss of Hamlet. Please don’t be discouraged you will be a great chicken parent one day!

I'm sorry you had to got through this. I just lost some chicks from a hatchery order, and even though I felt okay in the moment, watching anything die does something to you that takes a little while to pass.

The one thing that comforted me is knowing that a chick has to be really strong to have a happy life. I saved a chick that was struggling, and she has health problems now. Even though it probably doesn't help right now, you can rest assured it may have had a hard time in life with such a strange start.

It will be totally different if you choose to get chicks again. Even though some may have issues, if you get them from a good place they will most likely all be healthy.

She is chirping loudly because she is lonely. I had a chick whose egg was in the incubator 3 days before the others. Within the three days that she was alone, she would scream(chirp) bloody murder until she saw me because she was lonely. I am also concerned though as to why she is dyed pink...

Hello everyone, Hamlet passed today. I wanted to thank all of you who helped me care for her and wished her well throughout this journey even from far away, I think Hamlet knew that she was loved.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I remember losing a chick named Precious in a similar way--she was a cross beak and she wasn't strong enough to handle the moving from the brooder to the coop. You did as best as you could, and she/he was lucky to have such a loving owner for the short life she had.

This is her right now, she is sleeping on her heating pad that i just re-heated. I do not know how old hamlet is or why she is dyed pink, my aunt got her as a present for me which I thought was extremely sad because she deserved to live somewhere comfortable for her.

View attachment 3107151
Oh wow, my Mama told me about getting these dyed, live baby chicks for Easter, when she was a little girl. She hated it, too.
Her stories all had sad endings, because of the dye. My heart goes out to you ♥️🙏♥️🙏♥️

Back
Top Bottom