I woke hamlet up from her nap to give her some water, she finished two spoonfuls of it and she immediately pooped right after. I also cooked some scrambled eggs but she didn't want to eat them and just layed back down on her heating pad. It seems like her appetite is down, How can I get her to eat?

Update: My local animal store had no medicated crumbles but they had unmedicated ones so that is what hamlet is having right now. She ate some of the crumble and drank some water and immediately pooped right after. Her stool is a watery yellow-ish color, does she have diarrhea? is there any way i can help?

Thank you so much. Is the level of the warmth (90-95 degrees) in fahrenheit? Me and hamlet are in a tropical country and right now (Manila, Philippines and forecast says temperature is at 31 degrees celsius, will it be too hot for her?
Yes in fahrenheit, so in C you'd want to provide an area about 32C that the chick can access at all time. If it's 31C consistently where you have the chick (in the house?) the chick won't need much heat, like a regular light bulb (non-LED) or a heating pad would be enough.

Her stool is a watery yellow-ish color, does she have diarrhea?
Is it consistently watery, or is it only some times?

Update: My local animal store had no medicated crumbles but they had unmedicated ones so that is what hamlet is having right now. She ate some of the crumble and drank some water and immediately pooped right after. Her stool is a watery yellow-ish color, does she have diarrhea? is there any way i can help?
That can be normal at this age. If every poop is yellow and watery that is bad, if it mixed in with more normal poops that is likely just normal chick poo. These are animals, and it makes me sad that people would dye them and use them as a novelty, but it makes me glad that she ended up with someone willing to do everything they can to make sure she is ok. <3.

This is her right now, she is sleeping on her heating pad that i just re-heated. I do not know how old hamlet is or why she is dyed pink, my aunt got her as a present for me

Gender: probably male, because most dyed chicks seem to be male.
Why it is dyed: so it looks cute, and someone who knows nothing about chickens will buy it as a pet. (Good for the hatchery that sells the chicks, but bad for most of the chicks.)

I suggest you think about whether you are allowed to keep a chicken where you live, and especially whether you would be allowed to keep a rooster. If that would not be possible, start planning now for what to do when the chick grows up.

The dyeing is probably not harmful to the chick. Selling chicks to people who do not know how to care for chicks does harm some chicks. (I think your chick is one of the lucky ones, since it looks like you are quickly learning to provide what it needs.)

Last edited:
Like NatJ said, some chicks can be harmed by it, but the majority of the dye issue is where the hatchery is trying to make quick bucks, sell some dyed cute chicks to some young kids who have no clue how to care for one, and are in it for just cuteness.

Maybe she would need some friends? She might get lonely. Or just be sure to give her a lot of attention.

saying her, not sure on the gender. Hope everything goes well for you and Hamlet.

Yes in fahrenheit, so in C you'd want to provide an area about 32C that the chick can access at all time. If it's 31C consistently where you have the chick (in the house?) the chick won't need much heat, like a regular light bulb (non-LED) or a heating pad would be enough.
Hamlet does have a regular light bulb and is sleeping right now in her pad, but It gets extremely hot here during the summer and today is one of those days that it's 33C so I try to get her to drink as much water as she can.

That can be normal at this age. If every poop is yellow and watery that is bad, if it mixed in with more normal poops that is likely just normal chick poo.
Thank you. Is there any indication of her poop being 'normal'? what does normal chick poop look like?

What hamlet ate during the past few days was some raw egg yolk, she struggled to get a hold of the solids and didn't even want to go near some scrambled eggs but takes to liquids better so I thought the egg yolk would help her get the nutrients she needed. She also sleeps while standing a lot, and if she does sleep on the ground she'd tuck her head to her chest (beak to chest). A lot of times hamlet seems lethargic to me so that was why I thought she was sick, but I will observe her poops today taken that she has had some solid food.

Back
Top Bottom