As long as the rest of Hamlet's poop is normal, I wouldn't be too concerned about this one. Sounds like you're already doing this but, just keep an eye out for any changes in her appearance (are her eyes clear or watery? droopy wings?).

I'm so happy this poor little peep has someone willing to ensure it has the best future! One thing I noted that no one else seems to have touched upon yet is feeding raw eggs to chicks. It's not inherently bad for a healthy bird, but if the egg happens to have any harmful bacteria, that might affect the chick. From now on, I'd only feed scrambled or cooked eggs.

As long as the rest of Hamlet's poop is normal, I wouldn't be too concerned about this one. Sounds like you're already doing this but, just keep an eye out for any changes in her appearance (are her eyes clear or watery? droopy wings?).

I'm so happy this poor little peep has someone willing to ensure it has the best future! One thing I noted that no one else seems to have touched upon yet is feeding raw eggs to chicks. It's not inherently bad for a healthy bird, but if the egg happens to have any harmful bacteria, that might affect the chick. From now on, I'd only feed scrambled or cooked eggs.
Thank you for saying something about the raw eggs, hamlet has stopped having those since she got her crumbles and if she runs out in the future hopefully she'll like scrambled eggs better since she hated it the first time.

Also, I do not know how 'droopy wings' look like so instead I will attach a photo of Hamlet and hopefully everyone could see. If you're wondering why she looks wet, Hamlet played with her egg yolk container the other day and it eventually dried up on her feathers, been trying to find a way to give her a washcloth bath ever since and she was going to it this afternoon because I thought it would be sunny outside, but it rained instead :( Also, theres this white things on her wings which I cant identify If it's her new feathers growing in or her current feathers falling out.

Hamlet's pooped looked stringy too (third photo), this happened two consecutive times today.

Attachments

• IMG_5762.jpg
    IMG_5762.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5770.jpg
    IMG_5770.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5768.jpg
    IMG_5768.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Thank you. Is there any indication of her poop being 'normal'? what does normal chick poop look like?

What hamlet ate during the past few days was some raw egg yolk, she struggled to get a hold of the solids and didn't even want to go near some scrambled eggs but takes to liquids better so I thought the egg yolk would help her get the nutrients she needed. She also sleeps while standing a lot, and if she does sleep on the ground she'd tuck her head to her chest (beak to chest). A lot of times hamlet seems lethargic to me so that was why I thought she was sick, but I will observe her poops today taken that she has had some solid food.
So, the little soft/solid green/brown clumps, often with white on them are the normal healthy looking poop. But especially in tiny chicks, that are drinking a lot, there can be some wateryness. Every 8-15 times she goes poop, there will be what is called a “cecal poop” which is the emptying of the cecal pouch. It often looks gooey and colored like butterscotch pudding/sauce. And IT SMELLS BAD!!!
What you want to watch for is constant slimy/watery/runny green/brown/yellow poops, and especially with blood as that can mean coccidiosis.
We have all stressed out when learning about whether chicks poop is normal and what it’s supposed to look like lol. It’s a rite of passage.

So, the little soft/solid green/brown clumps, often with white on them are the normal healthy looking poop. But especially in tiny chicks, that are drinking a lot, there can be some wateryness. Every 8-15 times she goes poop, there will be what is called a “cecal poop” which is the emptying of the cecal pouch. It often looks gooey and colored like butterscotch pudding/sauce. And IT SMELLS BAD!!!
What you want to watch for is constant slimy/watery/runny green/brown/yellow poops, and especially with blood as that can mean coccidiosis.
We have all stressed out when learning about whether chicks poop is normal and what it’s supposed to look like lol. It’s a rite of passage.
Thank you. Hamlet's poop since last night has been constantly slimy yellow, I have only noticed this since yesterday because her poop looked healthy (brown clumps) the other day, but yesterday and today hamlet seemed weaker than usual, she struggles to stay on her feet and wobbles a lot.

This is what her poop looks like (the little pebbles are her crumbles, she spills her container a LOT)

1st photo: yesterday
2nd photo: today

If Hamlet does have coccidiosis, what can I do to help her? The store said medicated chick crumbles are rarely available in our country and needs to be ordered online from another country, which can take a very long time to ship here, is there a natural alternative or a more accessible sort of medication?

Attachments

• IMG_5760.jpg
    IMG_5760.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5804.jpg
    IMG_5804.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Update: Hamlet is getting really weak, she still drinks water but won't eat, keeps sleeping (more than she normally does), can't stand up on her own and is less active than she was yesterday. I'm really worried, how can I help her?

If Hamlet does have coccidiosis, what can I do to help her? The store said medicated chick crumbles are rarely available in our country and needs to be ordered online from another country, which can take a very long time to ship here, is there a natural alternative or a more accessible sort of medication?
There are several medicines that can treat coccidiosis.

In the USA, amprolium is the most common one, sold with the brand name Corid. It is available as a liquid or powder to mix into their water.

I know that other medicines exist, and different ones are common in different countries, but I do not know which ones are common or available where you live.

You could ask the store if they have medicine to treat coccidiosis. Medicine meant for chickens would be best, but sometimes medicines meant for other animals can be used. For any medicine, once you know its name, you can look it up or ask on here. That way you can learn whether it also works for chickens, and what dose would be right.

Back
Top Bottom