How do I keep my chickens out of my neighbors yard?

I have the same problem. I have a coop and secure run, but like to let the girls out to range. Despite having a good amount of land and woods, they like the neighbors' yard best and I know the neighbors are not big fans of the chickens (no complaints, but I'm trying not to get to that point). So I created an extended, temporary run (stakes and garden fencing). See similar descriptions in the below thread (sorry, if I clipped it incorrectly). It was cheap and the chickens don't try to get to the top of the wire fencing (after the first attempt -- too wobbly).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-a-picket-fence.1315827/page-3#post-21451179
I was told and then witnessed myself that chickens do not prefer to fly onto something that they cannot get a firm foothold on. They also tend not to flow over, but onto fences. A wobbly fence like the orange construction fencing or silt fencing is better than a short sturdy fence such as a picket fence or corral type fencing.

If my neighbors chickens were bothering my property,
and they gave me a spray bottle,
I'd turn the garden hose on them :gig
Good lord, yes! I mean...the mental picture of a person running around after fleeing chickens with a SPRAY BOTTLE...is hysterical! If someone's chickens were trashing my flowers and the owner came over with a spray bottle and THAT suggestion, I'd think they'd lost a brain cell or two.
But I'd pay good money to watch Aart hose them down! :yesss::lau:gig

Mine are fenced in....a ginormous yard however...the grass is always greener on the other side. A few have flown the fence. My neighbors actually talk to the chickens so my husband caught her and my roo having conversations and he apologized for them flying the fence and her response.....it’s ok they go home to go to bed! He explained we were trying to take measures to keep them in and she was absolutely fine with it. So far it’s just been a few here and there however upon watching them I realized the fence on her side it wooden which our fence is attached to so they were trying to roost...I built a tall roost using 2 pallets an some screws like a ladder and it’s a bit taller than the fence. I put it center of the yard and bam problem solved. Just a suggestion for those who may have this problem or you if you decide to go with just putting up a fence

I don't have a fenced in yard. I do have a border of plants.when they are real young I use a corral moving it every day allowing a little free range time where they stay close to there corral. As Since my chicks were young I have tought them their boundaries when they stray I I have them out with a stick. They have learned quick which is their yard. I have raised 3 flocks using this method.

Well .. not sure if anyone else has done this or not. But, if mine are free ranging in the front yard and I see them get close to the garden i .. very obnoxiously to add .. shoo and scare the beejesus out of them in the area i don't want them to be. Haven't had an issue, yet, and they free range all day. My former land lady on a horse farm taught me that when her hens got too close to the road, worked for her too. My husband gets a kick out of me doing it, but hey! It works! :yesss:

Last edited:
Unfortunately, we live in one of those neighborhoods where No one has fences
Clip one wing, then get some short hog fence posts. The short 24" plastic should work fine. Run a wire at 4" and another at 10" then hook up an inexpensive electric fence charger.
Very discreet and you can step over it.
My neighbor has three strand electric fence for his cattle so all I had to do was add the 4" and 10' wire then alligator clip to his wife.
Of course I now have to make sure the weeds stay away from the wire.
Not sure why my phone wants to clip to his wife. I changed that back to wire twice.

Clip one wing, then get some short hog fence posts. The short 24" plastic should work fine. Run a wire at 4" and another at 10" then hook up an inexpensive electric fence charger.
Very discreet and you can step over it.
My neighbor has three strand electric fence for his cattle so all I had to do was add the 4" and 10' wire then alligator clip to his wife.
Of course I now have to make sure the weeds stay away from the wire.
Not sure why my phone wants to clip to his wife. I changed that back to wire twice.
:yuckyuck

Maybe a good little herding dog with some training. I think that may depend on how many chickens you want to run..lol
Wouldn't that drive a good herding dog nuts...lol

Back
Top Bottom