How do I keep my duck coop clean?

The second coop. All the dishes inside were mini pool of water of the ducklings to dunk there heads in and swim before I let hem out with momma and the rest of the flock. I am planning on taking them out through. And I can get a picture of the A-frame in the corner, and more of the inside of the coop if needed! Thanks again, Avery

IMG_5835.jpg
IMG_5836.jpg

Ya, but then the ducks end up churning up the shavings on the bottom and it get mixed in. Plus, when you finally clean it out, the you have 5 times the work. I am also wondering gif there is a better nesting box way to keep things clean. Thanks Avery

Soooooo.....your dad likes building stuff right?

Work with him on teaching you to build dog house style duck nest sites. That way the nests are up off the wet ground on runners. Make the lid hinged so you can open the top side to gather eggs and cover the peak with old bike tubing to keep it dry inside.

Maybe a duck house for sleeping in which keeps things dry.

I live near Seattle and so probably have similar weather. My ducks used to live in a raised shed, and now live in a room in a barn. We put linoleum down on the floor so that we can actually wash it. We also put a thick layer of straw down inside the barn. Our vet recommended straw to prevent bumblefoot.

I can't imagine using straw outside. It seems like it would just be wet, mucky, and moldy. If my ducks ever track any straw outside I pick it up and compost it.

I think optimally you would build or buy something for them that is off the ground, fully covered/rain/weather proof. I wouldn't want any rain to be able to reach my ducks' bedding.

Have you heard about sweet pdz? Even though my 3 ducks have an enormous duck palace I still use it on their straw to reduce odors. I still clean it regularly, but it helps keep things fresh.

9FD397A5-FB63-453C-B2AB-571AA0AB0BB8.jpeg
752C6E1D-F2C0-407F-B656-C23F64F92CE8.jpeg
The floor of my duck house is made of expanded metal mesh , 3/4” long by 1/2 wide 1/8 thick, i can walk in it, i have stall mats on top, both for insulation, ease of walking and resistance to getting gross and moldy. I have a corner cut out where their water is so it drains down through. I use shavings, they smell better, they work better and they dint get moldy between cleanings, The whole thing is 1-2’ above the ground. 10000000000000 times better than the hay. Only thing i miss about that was the ease of pulling it out with a manure fork. My ducks are happier and healthier.

Back
Top Bottom