how do i know if a goat needs a scrapies tag?

bravevline

Songster
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
i am thinking about buying goats to graze with the cattle. they probably wont be registered or even purebred. im just wanting to a small few little $40-50 per kid homestead like goats. i would also like if i could sell or auction off a few of the future offspring. i have no intention of being a big, large scale, long term, quality producer. ive read about the scrapies tags recently. i wanted to know if it will be an issue to worry about. i want to sell the weanlings. which groups of goats need scrapies tags?

It has been a while since I have had goats, but as I recall the only ones that do not need tags are castrated males. Your local ag extension ought to be able to help you.

Each state has different regulations regarding scrapies tags and which animals require them. You can check your state requirements here: http://www.eradicatescrapie.org/State%20ID%20Requirements.html

It would also be a good idea to call your state animal health commission to be sure to have the most up-to-date information, as this list was last updated in 2008 and I know that our state (Texas) has had some changes made since then.

Back
Top Bottom