how do I make a double laced blue barnvelders?

rookachu

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 30, 2012
Im fairly new to the hole chicken thing lol only about 6 months.. Im wondering what breeds would be used to make a double laced blue barnvelder? A blue laced red Wyandotte and a barnvelder? What color barnvelder would I use? Anybody out there have advice any info would be much appriciated!! Pictures of all of your project birds or any birds ay all would be great!!

You need a splash chicken or a blue laced red variety. The wyandotte will work but you will also have to breed out the rose comb.

Cross the barnevelder with the blue laced red = F1 offspring

Back cross a blue F1 with the barnevelder= BC1 select the birds that show blue laced red phenotype and have single combs, you have to keep hatching birds until you get a few of the birds.

Back cross the best BC1 to a barnevelder = BC2 this should produce some good looking birds that have blue double lacing on a red ground color.

While you are at it you could also produce single laced blue on a red ground color.

Tim
Im fairly new to the hole chicken thing lol only about 6 months.. Im wondering what breeds would be used to make a double laced blue barnvelder? A blue laced red Wyandotte and a barnvelder? What color barnvelder would I use? Anybody out there have advice any info would be much appriciated!! Pictures of all of your project birds or any birds ay all would be great!!

There are a few of us working on Blue Double Laced Barnies and you can catch us over in the Barnevelder Breeders thread. tls_ranch is generations ahead of alot of us trying this project and she has some beautiful birds.

Thanks guys im really looking for a project that I can work on cause I think that spending the time and effort to perfect this breed and color would give me a great feeling of accomplishment.. Im not even sure if the blue double laced is recognized by the APA yet have they? That would be neat to help in getting the breed astablished!

Back
Top Bottom