How do I spoil thee? Let me count the ways!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by CedarCrestFarm, Jan 8, 2015.

1. CedarCrestFarm

CedarCrestFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2014
    Kirtland Hills, Ohio
    Last night after spending $75.00 at the grocery store buying for my flock (Kale, Fruit, Alfalfa Sprouts, Herbs, "Super Salad" Quinoa and Oatmeal) I thought it might be fun to start a thread! How do you spoil your chickens? What great foods do you offer in winter when foraging is out of the question?

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    I give them a TON of veggies (BFF runs a high end restaurant and she brings me all their trimmings so I have a never ending supply that's ever changing). I usually give them organic scratch mixed with dried mealworms before bed. I also sprout various seed mixtures for them, as well as BOSS (they go nuts for the spouted BOSS). Sometimes they get stale bread as a treat.

Last night they got a mix of cauliflower, bell pepper, dino kale, clover sprouts, and Brussels sprouts.

3. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I give them warm rice and oatmeal in the mornings and brings snack in the afternoons. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  4. threescompany

threescompany Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2014
    This morning was sooo cold. I made oatmeal with some raisins, herbs, little cayenne pepper and scratch. Thought that might warm them up. They also had some grapes, kale and some chickweed I harvested before the hard freeze.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by