How do I stop my 3 month old chicken from pecking this little girl?

Browns Farm

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2016
Charlotte NC

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Is the one that is picked on a new addition to the group? Is it just being nosey pecking or serious pecking? I'm afraid chickens do peck and it is how they establish a pecking order. Seperating the one that's been picked on but having it near the others could help to get them more aquainted but with the risk of injury. Here is a great article all about it ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Chick is likely to be around. Sit out in chair near where last saw her and listen. Do not move until chick is roosting. History of chick would be very help as well as other chickens. Even if chick does not get along with other birds it will likely try to stay in earshot.

We need to get past the sound bite communications.

Chick's probably around watching you. bobbi - j & centrarchid gave good advice, if it's around will probably return at dusk, if not check in the brush around the coop area & trees. Good luck.

A squirt bottle with a strong, far reaching stream works good to set your 3 month old straight about not picking on the little one. Introduce them slowly, put the small in an enclosure in the coop with the 3 month old so they can see and get used to each other.

I would systematically check with neighbors. I have even had what you have going on in an urban setting. Birds moved further but also more predictable in where they would hold, often for days. Look for bushes and hedge rows.

Back
Top Bottom