How do I stop my Chickens sleeping and pooping in nesting boxes

Jun 13, 2023
So the coop I purchased has 2 sets of nesting boxes on each side of coop. My easter eggers have been sleeping in the nesting boxes since I put them in the coop at 6 weeks old, and I didn't know any better to stop them from doing this. They are 18 weeks almost 19 weeks now and I don't know how to break them of this habit before they start laying as they are showing strong signs. Is there a solution to stopping them from being in there to sleep? Should I just put a few nesting boxes alongside the back of the coop where they don't sleep and poop? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!!

You can cover the face (entrance) with a vinyl curtain at night. I'd use a piece of metal such as 1/2" pipe or EMT or rebar to hold the vinyl down at night and secure it across the top during the day.

Depends on how they are set up.
I block mine off @ night with new pullets..

Mine are built into the coop, so I put feed bags over top of them...

My other set is totes and I just snap the lids on...

No matter how you do it...they need removed at Nighy, put on the roost, and nesting boxes should be blocked off at night till they learn

Are the roosting bars situated lower or higher than the nest boxes?
In case they are lower you could raise them above the nest box level and then grab your pullets at night and put them on the roosting bars to show them where to spend the night.
So the setup sucks, as usual. I bought another one that was even worse and returned it lol. I'll snap a pic. But the roosting bars are low as heck, like 2inches above the pull out tray, it's identical in height as the nesting boxes. I cleaned out coop other day entirely as they are showing strong signs of laying, bright red combs, squatting for weeks now, and they are soooo much more noisy this last week...some sing all morning in the coop for like 2hrs lol. But anyway, I removed the shavings in nesting boxes only leaving a little bit on bottom and placed straw nesting pads that came w Herbs on them as well, and I placed some plastic eggs on each pad. Do u think that will help? Cause I noticed today for the 1st time the one side of the nesting boxes were clean no poop, just the other side, they are all usually dirty....so I wonder if they are getting ready to use the one side for laying, idk.

So the setup sucks, as usual. I bought another one that was even worse and returned it lol. I'll snap a pic. But the roosting bars are low as heck, like 2inches above the pull out tray, it's identical in height as the nesting boxes. I cleaned out coop other day entirely as they are showing strong signs of laying, bright red combs, squatting for weeks now, and they are soooo much more noisy this last week...some sing all morning in the coop for like 2hrs lol. But anyway, I removed the shavings in nesting boxes only leaving a little bit on bottom and placed straw nesting pads that came w Herbs on them as well, and I placed some plastic eggs on each pad. Do u think that will help? Cause I noticed today for the 1st time the one side of the nesting boxes were clean no poop, just the other side, they are all usually dirty....so I wonder if they are getting ready to use the one side for laying, idk.
I will have to figure out a way to raise them just above the nesting boxes, somehow...im sure I can build a little notch on each side for the bars above the boxes. It has a very nice tall pointed roof so plenty of space to go higher.

a pictutre would help. Need to figure out a way to raise the roost bars or lower the nest boxes. I would put a wood plank in front of the opening for a week or two. Once they actually start laying you can remove it and place some wooden eggs in there and that'll do the trick. I find it's rare to have them immediately start laying in the nest box with their first couple eggs so not sure you loose anything by closing it off in that regard. Will certainly help stop them from sleeping in there. But chiefly, raising the roost bars is necessary

I will have to figure out a way to raise them just above the nesting boxes, somehow...im sure I can build a little notch on each side for the bars above the boxes. It has a very nice tall pointed roof so plenty of space to go higher.
Big box stores sell 2x4 metal brackets/ties...same area as where you'd by hurricane ties in framing section that can easily be mounted/screwed into the wall and support a 2x4 cut to length

a pictutre would help. Need to figure out a way to raise the roost bars or lower the nest boxes. I would put a wood plank in front of the opening for a week or two. Once they actually start laying you can remove it and place some wooden eggs in there and that'll do the trick. I find it's rare to have them immediately start laying in the nest box with their first couple eggs so not sure you loose anything by closing it off in that regard. Will certainly help stop them from sleeping in there. But chiefly, raising the roost bars is necessary
Here's the set up

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230709_144242_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230709_144242_Gallery.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20230709_144239_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230709_144239_Gallery.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20230709_144234_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230709_144234_Gallery.jpg
    598.6 KB · Views: 53

Back