how do I tell the difference between...

slackwater

Songster
9 Years
Feb 1, 2010
SoMD
A black Marans and a black orp? I hatched out BBS orps and BBS Marans at the same time. The pullet in question is now about 12 weeks old. What would be some sort of tell-tale sign that would tell me, one way or the other, whether she is a Marans or an orp? I'm sure that once she gets older and fills out it will be more obvious, but...until then...

Wouldn't the Orp have paler legs?....
idunno.gif
It's a black copper marans right? The copper should be showing lightly... but then there are those black coppers who don't have ANY copper
hmm.png

She would be a black Marans, not a black copper Marans - so no copper in there to help me tell the difference
hmm.png

Are their eyes the same color?? My marans have kinda a yellow/orangish eyes. Does your Marans have feathered shanks?? Don't know if 12 weeks is too soon to see who is fluffiest?? It should be easier to tell when they fill out and get totally different body shapes.

It took me until 14 weeks to tell the difference between my BSL and my Black rocks. At 16 weeks now, it is pretty obvious.

Last edited:
Nope, no feathered shanks. My BCMs have feathered shanks...this pullet does not.

I should post a pic of her tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom