1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how do I tell the difference between...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by slackwater, Aug 14, 2011.

1. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    A black Marans and a black orp? I hatched out BBS orps and BBS Marans at the same time. The pullet in question is now about 12 weeks old. What would be some sort of tell-tale sign that would tell me, one way or the other, whether she is a Marans or an orp? I'm sure that once she gets older and fills out it will be more obvious, but...until then...

2. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    Wouldn't the Orp have paler legs?.... [​IMG] It's a black copper marans right? The copper should be showing lightly... but then there are those black coppers who don't have ANY copper [​IMG]

3. slackwater

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    She would be a black Marans, not a black copper Marans - so no copper in there to help me tell the difference [​IMG]

4. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Are their eyes the same color?? My marans have kinda a yellow/orangish eyes. Does your Marans have feathered shanks?? Don't know if 12 weeks is too soon to see who is fluffiest?? It should be easier to tell when they fill out and get totally different body shapes.

It took me until 14 weeks to tell the difference between my BSL and my Black rocks. At 16 weeks now, it is pretty obvious.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  5. slackwater

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Nope, no feathered shanks. My BCMs have feathered shanks...this pullet does not.

I should post a pic of her tomorrow.

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Orpingtons should have big fluffy butts, LOL. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by