How do I trick my broody hen into taking day old chicks?

hoog

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
Oklahoma (Near Lawton)
I have a half buff orpington / half brown leghorn that went broody.
woot.gif
The date works out that she will be hatching her eggs around the same day my incubator is hatching. Is it possible to somehow slip them in with the chicks she hatched herself that way she can raise them all together? What’s the best way to do it?

Should I wait one day after all hers have hatched pull her out of the brooder for a few minutes, add in all the extra chicks, and then put her back?

Last edited:
I have a half buff orpington / half brown leghorn that went broody.
woot.gif
The date works out that she will be hatching her eggs around the same day my incubator is hatching. Is it possible to somehow slip them in with the chicks she hatched herself that way she can raise them all together? What’s the best way to do it?

Should I wait one day after all hers have hatched pull her out of the brooder for a few minutes, add in all the extra chicks, and then put her back?
The way that works for me is slipping them under her right after her chicks have hatched at night. I hold my hand withe chick chick cupped in a hidden manor so she cant see what Im doing...make sure you dont overwelm her though with too many chicks and make sure the chicks you put under her are fluffed out and dry...good luck

Back
Top Bottom