How do migratory bird laws apply to hybrids ?

spcmoken

Songster
May 26, 2019
I spoke to a warden about laws to own canada geese a while back and from what i understood one must purchase from a permit holder and then follow state laws if any apply . oh and never loose that receipt/ form . out of curiosity i asked about hybrid canada geese / migratory birds and how the federal law applies to them and from what i understood , they are not covered under the protection laws. I was curious if anyone knows WHERE one can find this info because i have been reading up on it/ researching and hybrids are not mentioned anywhere ? From my understanding, sometimes, not often a canada goose flock may land on farm land, and a canada goose may mate with a domestic goose ... Now assuming the female lives on the farm and hatches hybrids , then they where not taken from the wild and no felony has been committed . the warden said generally you can tell by the feathers feet and/or beak they are hybrids . now does the farmer have to be concerned? Does he need to report it? And what if you buy eggs , thinking they are domestic and the farmer didn't know the female had a affair? You hatch a gosling and then it grows up to be a hybrid ... What do you do then ? I know im a lil OCD and ADD and its been bugging me because i couldn't find answers online lol. Sorry for rambling on .. Just curious what y'all think and /or know ?? IMO its a interesting subject

I now nothing!! But what I think is that if a domestic goose has an illicit affair with a Canada gander, their bastard progeny are 100% exempt from permitting requirements. They are not pure. The DEC doesn't give one whit about them. They are not Canada geese.

Back
Top Bottom