How do mixed breeds do together

newchic

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 28, 2011
I am a first timer. I am debating between an orpington, plymouth rock or brahma. I live in West Florida where the weather is hot and wet am mostly looking for an egg layer with hairyfeet. I would like to raise them from chicks but don't know how chickens would behave with all three mixed breeds. Any suggestions?

Mixing chickens of different breeds is fine, especially when they're raised together from the time their chicks. My first foray into chickendom was 12 chicks from 9 different breeds.

Now, as far as which ones you prefer, I have two places to suggest.

One is the breed selector on the MyPetChicken.com site. This will allow you to select breeds based on your needs, such as hot-weather hardy, friendliness, frequency and color of eggs, etc. You can find it at http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/which-breed-is-right-for-me.aspx.

The
other, and much more detailed, is the chart of breeds found at http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html.

And
for any and all other information, this site is unbelievable and the BYCers are very helpful. Don't ever think you have a stupid question, either, because we've all been beginners before.

welcome-byc.gif

By the way, those are all very nice breeds, but only the Brahma has feathered shanks. Cochins and Marans also have feathered shanks and are wonderful birds.

Last edited:
Cochins and Orpingtons, supposedly, do not do well in extreme heat. I have plenty of tree cover here, where we do have several days of summer exceeding 100 degrees, and have both of those breeds (plus the others you mentioned). My flock is extremely mixed - I like a colorful flock!

They all do fine together; chickens don't care at all what other chickens look like. Well, "regular" chickens DO sometimes react to silkies or polish chickens with odd feathers on their heads by picking at the feathers.

Great suggestions from wsdareme. I have a flock of 70+ birds with 20 different breeds/varieties amongst them. I have yet to have any problems with my mixed flock and I have wee bantam Modern Games and Seramas in with large Marans, Welsummers, Penedesenca, etc.

Other nice feathered shank/footed birds are Langshans, and Faverolles, as well as Sultans.

I have found that despite raising them from chicks together, my 2 Wyandottes forage separate from my Australorps --no biggie tho'.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great responses, I was also looking at the sultan, gorgeous bird. From what I've read on sultan's they may be skiddish and startled easily due hair blocking their sight.

Social and friendly is also very important. Our yard is about 1200 sq.ft the chickens will be able to free range however I would like to think of them as pets that will stay close as I'm out in the garden.

Most of the breeds you guys are suggesting seem fairly rare, what is the best means for finding a breeder? Anyone have any luck with buying online?

Also since a few of you have the above breeds mentioned (Orpington, brahma, Plymouth rock) do they like to perch or sleep in a coop cubbie?

Last edited:
Quote:
One problem with some of the more exotic feathered birds is that normally-feathered birds think they're odd and will peck their feathers off. And often they don't stop pecking when the feathers are gone.

Free ranging is great, but remember -- hawks love to eat chickens! You may THINK you don't have any hawks in your neighborhood, but, believe me, word travels fast and hawks love a smorgasbord!

Since it sounds like you're looking for pets as opposed to show birds, I would suggest getting chicks from a hatchery. Most hatcheries will offer many of the rare breeds. MyPetChicken.com offers a lot of nice birds, and you can select pullets and order as few as 3 chicks. Also, check your local feed store and see what chicks they have ordered and when they're coming in. My feed store had Welsummers and Speckled Sussex last week (I jumped all over that and bought two of each). Also, watch your local craigslist for chicks for sale. Often there are breeders near you that will sell hatching eggs and chicks. That's how I got my Black Copper Marans. A word of caution: If you buy birds from someone, quarantine them for at least a month. There are many diseases that are quickly passed from bird to bird and you could wipe out your entire flock. Heartbreaking when they're your pets and garden buddies.

You'll need to provide all of your chickens a roost to sleep on. Save the cubbies for egg laying. I find a 2x4 or even 2x6 works best for me. The width allows them to settle over their feet in cold weather and keep from getting frostbite.

Quote:
One problem with some of the more exotic feathered birds is that normally-feathered birds think they're odd and will peck their feathers off. And often they don't stop pecking when the feathers are gone.

Free ranging is great, but remember -- hawks love to eat chickens! You may THINK you don't have any hawks in your neighborhood, but, believe me, word travels fast and hawks love a smorgasbord!

Since it sounds like you're looking for pets as opposed to show birds, I would suggest getting chicks from a hatchery. Most hatcheries will offer many of the rare breeds. MyPetChicken.com offers a lot of nice birds, and you can select pullets and order as few as 3 chicks. Also, check your local feed store and see what chicks they have ordered and when they're coming in. My feed store had Welsummers and Speckled Sussex last week (I jumped all over that and bought two of each). Also, watch your local craigslist for chicks for sale. Often there are breeders near you that will sell hatching eggs and chicks. That's how I got my Black Copper Marans. A word of caution: If you buy birds from someone, quarantine them for at least a month. There are many diseases that are quickly passed from bird to bird and you could wipe out your entire flock. Heartbreaking when they're your pets and garden buddies.

You'll need to provide all of your chickens a roost to sleep on. Save the cubbies for egg laying. I find a 2x4 or even 2x6 works best for me. The width allows them to settle over their feet in cold weather and keep from getting frostbite.

AMEN.gif

Back
Top Bottom