How do neighbouring flocks interact?

puirasville

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 6, 2014
Hi there!
We are getting 3 chickens for our backyard coop. We live in the country but are on a smaller lot close to the neighbours. We have built our coop and are planning to pick up our chickens this week or next, but we noticed the neighbours have chickens and let them roam free-- sometimes they come close to our yard and we have found them in our yard once-- they tend to stay to the back of the lot though and don't come too close.. We are not planning to get a rooster but the neighbours have one. Will our hens be attracted to their rooster and leave to try and join their flock? Will our chickens learn to stay in our yard or will the flocks mingle and fight each other? Should we be concerned about letting our hens out of their run? There is not a fence around the back of our property, but we are planning for a wire fence to keep our kids in.. Chickens could hop it, i'm sure.

I guess any information regarding how neighbouring flocks interact could be very helpful. Thanks!

Leslie

Your hens will most likely fight, do to peaking order. The rooster will probable give you fertilized eggs free. I kept my new hens locked in their new home for about a week straight to make sure they would come back at night. This makes them know that the cook is safe and it has feed and water. My hens where i live now do not have any other hens around them, so for your hens i would leave them in the coop locked up for two weeks just to make sure. But that just me. If its to hot in your coop that might be a problem.

Last edited:
Okay thanks! I also was wondering if you think a fence would motivate them to stay in the yard-- offering a clear boundary? And I also wanted to know from anyone who can help, is there anything to be done on my part when I bring them home in order to keep the neighbours chickens safe from any bugs or illnesses? Should I speak with my neighbours before we bring them home? They like to keep to themselves.

Roosters key to keeping flocks separate. You may need to make sure fight that occurs results in recognizing territory boundary. If you have hens only then flocks will merge.

Back
Top Bottom