How do others crush egg shells?

lwiese58

Songster
6 Years
Mar 30, 2013
Cleveland, GA
For those of you how crush and give egg shells back to your hens, what method do you use? This may sound like an obvious question but I have been using a Westinghouse Mini Chopper and it is a pain in the neck. Every few seconds I have to stop it and release a clod of incompletely chopped shell from one of the blades. Sometimes I shake it and sometimes I have to open it up and push it out before continuing. I feel like the time it takes for this process each time is ridiculous. Is there a better way? I would just give them the oyster shell but we started giving them egg shell first and now they don't like the oyster shell...won't eat it.

When I 1st started with Rheas in 1992 I read not to give oystershell to any ratite.. not digestable and can cut intestine, so never gave them any.

All my surplus eggs from bantams , turkey and chickens I boil, then dry shells in hot sun a few days or on my woodburner stove when on..Then put them in liquidiser to powder and add to their feed, specially the young Emu and Rhea chicks. This takes only about 1-3 min for say about 40 - 50 shells.
Other times after very dry, I just crush them fine and add to the bantam feed.

My Mum did this when I was knee high .......many decades ago, ha ha

Last edited:
I've never given it to any of my ratites, oyster shell or egg shell. They shouldn't need it if they are getting the right feed. Ratites don't have Gizzards, and cant grind up corn, shells, etc and therefore will just pass it whole, and as previously stated: could damage their intestines or cause a blockage.

If eggshells are ground to powder, it will add extra Calsium to strenghten their bones.. god knows what's in manufacured food this days...extra Calsium can only improove their heatlh for the future.

Last edited:
I've never given it to any of my ratites, oyster shell or egg shell. They shouldn't need it if they are getting the right feed. Ratites don't have Gizzards, and cant grind up corn, shells, etc and therefore will just pass it whole, and as previously stated: could damage their intestines or cause a blockage.

I don't give mine any either , can be bad for the males per sperm production and/or can cause possible kidney failure seemingly resulting from improper calcium/phos. ratio that varies per what the hens need vs. the males.
Just FYI, emus ( all ratites as far as I know ) do have gizzards but not crops.

Last edited:
A well balanced diet, supplemented with a high quality layer/breeder pellet started just prior to the breeding season and during the laying season will provide all of the calcium (as well as any other necesary vitamin/minerals, amino acids) your emus will need...

Last edited:
I don't give mine any either , can be bad for the males per sperm production and/or can cause possible kidney failure seemingly resulting from improper calcium/phos. ratio that varies per what the hens need vs. the males.
Just FYI, emus ( all ratites as far as I know ) do have gizzards but not crops.
I was thinking of Cassowaries since thats mostly what im into, but its odd that Emus would have one either because any time mine eat corn it comes out whole. But I have read that they do have one. Cassowaries do not. In fact, if they swallow a whole apple, it will come out mostly whole, just very soft. Its all part of how they spread seeds in the rainforest.

Back
Top Bottom