How do roos affect eggs?

NNYLeghorns

Hatching
9 Years
May 30, 2010
Norther New York
I have one young roo and 4 young hens about 11 wks old. When they start laying eggs, do I have to be concerned about the eggs being fertilized. I am not looking to hatch any eggs but the roo looks nice and would be cool to have around.

Any suggestion would be great.

welcome-byc.gif
yes he will fertilize eggs. but unless they are incubated by a hen or by you , you don't have to worry about babies. just pick up eggs twice a day and you shouldn't have problems. Leghorns very rarely go broody. a rooster will protect his ladies from predators. and it can be fun watching him strut for them. if my boys find a treat they call the women to come eat it

I agree with muddyhorse, The rooster cant hurt anything if you leave him with your hens.

Go to the "fertilized vs unfertilized eggs" stickied thread at the top of the "Incubating and Hatching Eggs" section of the BYC forum, and look at the pics, and you will see how DIFFICULT it is to tell whether an egg is fertile or not. (Assuming it has not been incubated of course
tongue.png
)

You and your family won't even know the difference unless you read that page and have good eyesight
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom