how do these look for Maran egg color

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I think they look Beautiful..
woot.gif
Remember that a Marans egg can darken as it lays>>Mine started at a beautiful terracotta color. They lay 8/9's regularly so as pullets just laying the color is lovely..Hope you have fun enjoying all your beautiful colored eggs..
thumbsup.gif

Unfortunately, it is very very hard to accurately judge egg color from photos. The best thing to do, IMHO, is to buy an egg color chart and then photograph your eggs with the color chart in the same photo.

Here's one example:

MaransWelliesAraucanas--01-05-09--3small.jpg

Quote:
I think they look Beautiful..
woot.gif
Remember that a Marans egg can darken as it lays>>Mine started at a beautiful terracotta color. They lay 8/9's regularly so as pullets just laying the color is lovely..Hope you have fun enjoying all your beautiful colored eggs..
thumbsup.gif

3Chickens,
Would love to see a picture of #9 Marans eggs that your hen lays?
Sharon

or if you want to take a color accurate photo with or without flash, place a brigth whate piece of paper in the photo. Then after you have it in the computer adjust the color for the white, the rest will fall into place.

Please remember, everyone, that you can't hear the tone of voice someone else has on here. It is easy to feel that someone is being snotty, even when they aren't. Also, be tactful, no need to be harsh. Oh and the OP did ask for opinions, so thats open game. By the way, I think your eggs are lovely.

Last edited:
Thanks to those who like my eggs. In my post yes, I was asking what ou though of my eggs. I did not mean for it to turn into a post of buy my eggs not his as that is what I got out of it. Anyways, as they darken up, yes I will be selling them as I have several PM's asking about them. Then hens and rooster hatched from number 6 eggs so I hope these get darker but either way everyone around here has loved them. I just wanted to see what BYC thought.

Thanks to all......

As far as the color chart, I had to use one from the person I get my eggs from back when...I can not seem to find them for sale anymore. I was told to print one out but if your printer is not good or the ink is wrong you get wrong color. Anyone know where to still buy one.

I think your eggs are lovely!

Always remember, too, that ANY reputable breeder should be more than happy to provide egg shell samples. So, when you are in the market to buy some Marans hatching eggs, to be absolutely sure you know what you're getting, ask for egg shell samples. I often include them with my Marans hatching egg shipments just so folks can have a real sample of the very darkest my hens will lay, since they do lighten up as they go through their lay cycle.

Quote:
Your concerns are very well founded. You can't guarantee the accuracy of a chart that has been printed out on a home printer, or the accuracy of a chart that you are looking at on a computer screen.

Unfortunately, it gets even more confusing. There have been several color charts produced by various groups over the years, and at least one of them is significantly different than the others. I would strongly suspect that anyone who believes that their birds are producing #9 eggs is using the chart produced by the North American Marans Breeders (or is that North American Marans Club? uhhh, I can't remember right now) awhile back. It is a good bit lighter than the other charts.

The Marans Chicken Club USA is selling charts that match the French chart in egg colors. Write to Sue Osio at sterlingsue2000 @ yahoo.com for specific info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom