How do you call your chickens

I open the back door and call in my high pitched chicken-calling voice, "Where are my BABIES?!!" My six come running, just as others have described here, heads down and feet barely touching ground. They know treats and affection are not far off. I have called them my babies since I got them as three day old fuzz balls (next month they will be 2 years old). We have a little chat: "How are my girls?" and "Whos the good chicken?" (I have read many similar themes). They follow me around the yard--I placed large logs in various places to attract bugs and worms--and the girls know I will shift the logs so they can catch a treat.

<<I have one RIR who pecks my foot until I pick her up and carry her around. Ruby is her name.>>

My Cheewee does the very same thing!! Maybe it is a RIR trait?

We very loudly call "Here Chicken Chicken!!" From all over my farm chickens converge.
tongue.png

I don't know why we started that but it works. We sound silly, but it works.

here CHICK CHICK CHICK!! they come runing, along with the guineas, ducks, turkeys, goats, donkeys, deer..... and sometimes the cats!
when they find out its just a bag of lettuce from the fridge most of them turn their nose up!

roll.png

Well, if walking outside with something in my hands doesn't work, I just say CHICK< CHICK< CHICK
That usually does it.

Yesterday, I walked out with the previous night's refried beans, lettuce and other taco leftovers. That's all that was needed. They came from all points of the yard. The RIR that charged down the path from the gate gave me pause, she was determined to GET THERE FIRST!

Dinos were their ancestors, and if you watch closely, you can still see it!

"Chuck chuck chuck" or "Hey chuck chucks!" I have one roo who comes to his name, and when I tell him "Helmut, go to your coop" he waddles on up and jumps on the perch, waiting for me to lock the door.

however embarrasing it is, i just do the booook,booook,booook, and they know i have food...otherwise they wont come unless they see the maxwell house turned chicken feeder bucket.

Back
Top Bottom