How do you cull chickens?

No matter what method you use somebody is going to tell you that it is inhumane. To me the most humane way is the way you can. You don't want a method where you are going to close your eyes or flinch at the wrong time. You can wind up hurting yourself or just injuring the chicken instead of finishing it. You don't want to do either of those.

There are little tricks with any method that helps, things like Bobbi telling you how to drive nails in a Vee to help hold the head. Or which type of tree lopper to use if you use one of those. The bypass type, not the anvil. And too often there is a bit of a learning curve before you get it just right. This is a necessary part of animal husbandry but not a pleasant part. Watching a video if you don't have a teacher is a wise move. I wish you luck.

I use the broomstick method as well. It's virtually instantaneous, and I can accomplish the task alone, even with my arthritis.

Same here. Once I've got the bird under the stick I stretch it out fully and then the quick pull to break the neck takes very little strength.

Two notes about it:

First, it's important to stand firmly enough on the broomstick that it doesn't slip out from under your feet when you pull -- causing the cull to fail and risking you taking a fall. Wear boots with heels and get the broomstick into the notch between the heel and the sole then center your weight firmly over the stick.

Second, though the intense flapping is disconcerting, it's actually your sign that you got a good, clean internal decapitation. The faster the kill the more vigorous the flapping.

No matter what method you use somebody is going to tell you that it is inhumane. To me the most humane way is the way you can. You don't want a method where you are going to close your eyes or flinch at the wrong time. You can wind up hurting yourself or just injuring the chicken instead of finishing it. You don't want to do either of those.

There are little tricks with any method that helps, things like Bobbi telling you how to drive nails in a Vee to help hold the head. Or which type of tree lopper to use if you use one of those. The bypass type, not the anvil. And too often there is a bit of a learning curve before you get it just right. This is a necessary part of animal husbandry but not a pleasant part. Watching a video if you don't have a teacher is a wise move. I wish you luck.
Thank you, I do learn by watching someone else. The broomstick method looks tricky as well. The video shows her doing it in dressy clothes and sandals!
Oh my. Tomorrow will be the day.
Hopefully.
I am not squeamish but would like to do it right the first time. Last hen that we culled- We meaning my husband did the neck pull without the broomstick and it said 30 pounds of pressure- the chicken just looked at us like we were daft- I think he gave her a neck adjustment like the chiropractor.
It is a learning curve- I was told when the hen is upside down they go unconscious and it makes it easier- have the cone nailed to a wood stand or tree -idk.
I watched the broomstick method several times.
We will figure it out- no video on the other method. Maybe it is a simple thing….
Thanks!

I use the broomstick method as well, and something to bear in mind is the first time one does it, its much better to pull to hard then not enough. You can't really pull to hard, however the head may come of, this doesn't matter for the bird, but it does makes a bit of a mess.
Also, I have never seen a chicken become unconscious when upside down, although it does calm them a bit.
I hope it goes ok for you and her, its never easy the first time, and hard every time.

Back
Top Bottom