How do you get a good rooster????

Pics
I finally got roos that are protectors and do not attack humans. I culled a lot of roos to get these two. I raise all my birds the same way. I had one more great roo that I sold, all my good roos are from a breeder in Kentucky. He sells English Orpington fertile hatching eggs on eBay. His user name is Jveapg. Here is a url to one of his old auctions - raisehttps://www.ebay.com/itm/133862893908?hash=item1f2ad9a954:g:YkIAAOSwJhZeC588

since he doesn't have anything listed yet. These are quality birds with great personalities.

I currently have 4 mature roosters. They are our pets, so we would be very upset should we have to cull them. Luckily, none of them are aggressive. One of them is with my hens, and they other three are in a rooster-only flock. The one with the hens, Oreo, is brilliant. He will run away if you come near him (which I like to see as it means he respects you). However, he does not mind being picked up, and will happily sit up on your knee. I would never be afraid of him with the children. He did get cuddled a lot when he was small but not so much once he was about 6 weeks. He is great with the hens, he never over-mates with them. His only problem is, he is an awful protector. He’s not even top of the pecking order (one of the older hens is LOL),and if they ever do meet danger (like the time the met one of the other roosters) it’s the hen that fights, not the rooster. We don’t need a very brave rooster though, so he is perfect for us. One of our other roosters, Gru, would be more flock-guardian kind of material. He is not aggressive to people, but he cannot be picked up. In fact, he lives sort of a wild life, as we cannot manage to keep him in the pen. The other two Roos can’t be picked up either, though this is probably my fault as I stopped catching them about a month ago. One of them, Hedwig, does peck at toes sometimes, but if you are very clear about keeping him out of your personal space he is ok. Anyways, sorry for the long reply, I got a bit carried away! If you managed to read to the end, I hope you find a good roo, they are out there!

Recently we had to cull l one of our 5 month old cockerels due to aggression. Tonight our remaining cockerel flogged my son, twice. I know I have little experience but how on earth do you get a rooster who isn't human aggressive? I would really like to be able to hatch my own fertilized eggs. I also want my hens to be watched after. Is it just luck of the draw with roosters?
Not sure if it’ll help with a rooster but when I integrated my pullets to the flock, the top hen was incredibly aggressive (drew blood) to the younger ones. I read to hold her in a submissive hold (belly up) a couple of times and she calmed right down. It worked so well I’ve done the same to the grown pullets when I integrated more to the flock. It’s amazing. Good luck with your rooster.
Recently we had to cull l one of our 5 month old cockerels due to aggression. Tonight our remaining cockerel flogged my son, twice. I know I have little experience but how on earth do you get a rooster who isn't human aggressive? I would really like to be able to hatch my own fertilized eggs. I also want my hens to be watched after. Is it just luck of the draw with roosters?

I have had both kinds and treated them all the same. Some are just born aggressive. Get rid of them. There are so many good roosters out there destined for soup pots. The one I have now is gentle and not too noisy. I did hand feed him berries and still do.

I have a 6 month old Barnevelder Rooster. He is as handsome as they come. Hey didn't show much aggression even after he started doing his thing with the ladies. Although he finally did challenge me. I was slowly meandering out of the run when I felt something hit the back of my leg. I turned around and there he was all puffed up. In my mind I was like "oh no this is gonna start being a thing" so to his disliking I chased him down and scooped him and held him nice and snug against my side and just carried him around for a bit and gently put my hand on the back of his head and pushed his head down. I also set him on the ground and made sure he was laying on the ground (gently mind you) and lightly pushed his head down until his beak touched the ground. And held him like that for a few moments. Then let him go. I was trying to assert dominance. And to my delight it has worked has never tried it again. That being said I could tell he has pondered it a few times but still hasn't tried it again. But if he does I'll do it again. I won't get rid of him because he's such a good bird he's so gentle to the hens and evenly distributes his "affection" to all the ladies so one isn't getting the blunt of it all.

I know it all depends on the brid itself (and a little with the breed), but sometimes you just got let them know who is king chicken 😅 others just won't give up and either has to be sold or go in the soup pot. I have been fortunate enough to have obtained a winner. I also have no children, just dogs and a cat. He has not gone after anyone else except the neighbor lady who watched them for me. But she was in the coop trying to collect the eggs and I don't think he liked a stranger in there. But needless I brought her over and made her do the same thing as I did and he hasn't tried it again. I told her to stand her ground and he won't try an advance.

What breeds did you choose? For my first rooster, I picked a salmon favorelles because they have a reputation for being on the docile side. He is great. My kids and I are in the chicken run all the time and we never have to worry about him attacking us. I have a beautiful and non-aggressive (so far anyway) 5 month-old Swedish Flower hen cockerel I'm trying to rehome if you're headed down to TN any time soon, haha. ;)

I‘m rehoming an aggressive Barred Rock roo, but would love a sweet Swedish Flower roo. Where in SE TN are you? I’m in NE GA, not far from Blue Ridge.

In my opinion, aggression in roosters is mainly due to the body language of their keepers. There are several articles on BYC about rooster behavior, and I can link you to a few of them drawn from various management styles if you wish.
I've had my share of Roosters - and never had any problems with any but 1.
As a matter of fact, we always had 2 Roosters at a time.
But this new one, which is a Rhode Island Red (about 9 or 10 lbs) is one "ornery" Rooster.
He does not like ANYONE 5 foot tall or smaller. And will attack anyone larger than that if they turn their back on him. I'm 6'3'', and he's alright with me, provided I staying facing him or parallel him. But if I turn around and put my back to him, he will attack !
He went after me (also) when I was giving the flock water, until he met the "hose".
A couple of good "squirts" with the "hose" and he stopped !
Some roosters are just that way. My Grandparents had oodles of chickens and roosters
and every once in a while there would always be an aggressive one in the bunch.
Also ~ some breeds seem to be more aggressive than others.
My Grandma always had big white chickens (and roosters) and they seemed pretty even keeled. But whenever she had a Rhode Island Rooster, 'trouble' !
And that's what we have now - a big Ol' Red Rhode Island Red.
All in all, if he's giving you warnings, he's just doing his job.
Just keep your eye on him, because he'll certainly keep his eye on you !
(We did called him "Rooster Cogburn") Now my Wife say's his name is:
Chicken Dinner" !:rant

Last edited:
My boys from Alchemist Farms are pretty sweet too (so far). But one is just a hen with big wattles and a comb!🤣 Just the biggest baby and acts like a total girl! They are a breeder hatchery that breeds based on temperament as well as pattern! And I have been so pleased with all those chicks that came to me!😁 I would totally recommend finding a good breeder like them!😊

My barred Rock was like that, so I was uncertain of his sex until his twin brother was killed by a dog, and Russell Crow thought it was then safe to become his masculine self. Now, he’s mean as a snake, even though I’ve thumped him back good. One day I was returning to the porch from the coop and thought I was home free until I was almost at the top of the flight of stairs when I felt him hit the back of my legs. I couldn’t believe he ran that far, and up the stairs so fast! I did more than thump him that day. I try to go after him first so he knows who’s boss, but he’s determined! He’s gotta go.

Last edited:
I think the3e can be a big genetic component. Our black Australourp was recommended as a breed that generally has calmer roos. He's amazing with the girls and isn't aggressive.

My barred Rock was like that, so I was uncertain of his sex until his twin brother was killed by a dog, and Russell Crow thought it was then safe to become his masculine self. Now, he’s mean as a snake, even though I’ve thumped him back good. One day I was returning to the porch from the coop and thought I was home free until I was almost at the top of the flight of stairs when I felt him hit the back of my legs. I couldn’t believe he ran that far, and up the stairs so fast! I did more than thump him that day. I try to go after him first so he knows who’s boss, but he’s determined! He’s gotta go.
That’s too bad. Yeah mine is with an older rooster and hens so hopefully he will do better.🙂

Back
Top Bottom