How do you get a good rooster????

Pics
He does this when I fill up their food but also when I bring treats from garden. He seems to prefer I hand feed him and does the dance more if I feed the hens instead of him. Bossy little thing.

"Why is it always when food is involved? If I am not feeding them, he loses interest and leaves me alone"

The OP is clearly stressed by the rooster at feeding...
Hm, yes, I missed this. I used to let The Kid release the chickens to free-range and toss them a little scratch in the afternoons. After a while he became afraid of the rooster. I wasn't aware there was a problem until it had escalated until the roo had become very aggressive. When I took over the chores he attacked me and I had to cull him. Some time later when I needed The Kid to take care of the birds one day, he was very hesitant. We had a new roo by this time (may have still been a cockerel). I told him to relax and remember, if the rooster came running toward him, it was only because he, The Kid, had the goodies, the afternoon scratch! The Kid recovered his confidence and the bird, now a mature rooster , is a fine gentleman.

Is it possible that roosters raised by a mother hen versus chicks bought from a hatchery will turn out boys with better manners? I had a cockerel turned into dinner because he started acting aggressive, and he was a hatchery chick we got early this year. We also have a cockerel given to us by a friend that they hatched using a broody, and he is a perfect boy (so far). Nice to his ladies, wary of us and looks to get out of the way. It makes logical sense, as far as growing up with chickens who are already adults would help teach them manners. I wonder how much
Were yours hatched naturally in the flock meaning not an incubator chick?
Yes.

Back
Top Bottom