How do you get a good rooster????

Pics
i have drakes not roosters but also know people who have PET roosters. if you raise them like we do (cuddle with them, hand feed them, carry them around) they will be the nicest animals ever

my boys even let me dress them up and take them on adventures ❤️
Its not the pets people have a problem with its roosters in general. At least not in the typical sense of being a pet.

Last edited:
that is my point. you can’t not spend time with an animal and expect them to be nice to you. 🤷‍♀️
We never took our roosters on any adventures,never carried them or bathed them or dressed them up and they didn't flog us except but one time when me and my brothers chased them (typical behavior for most kids I grew up with back then). They don't have to be pets to not attack you. Ours only attacked us because they were provoked...

I have had good roosters that had aggressive dads ( i didn't mean to breed them)
The roosters from aggressive dads that behaved good were raised with chicks younger than them by a month or less.
(I only read the first one or two pages of this thread so if these statements are out of place then i apologize i just didn't have time to read the whole thing)

Recently we had to cull l one of our 5 month old cockerels due to aggression. Tonight our remaining cockerel flogged my son, twice. I know I have little experience but how on earth do you get a rooster who isn't human aggressive? I would really like to be able to hatch my own fertilized eggs. I also want my hens to be watched after. Is it just luck of the draw with roosters?
"I got my rooster (4 months old) from an elderly man in the country." I named him Rufio. I think he knows I love him very much, has never been aggressive.

I sell my roosters on Craigslist or donate them to 4-H kids as soon as they begin to try to crow. I can't keep roosters 😟 You could also check with your local 4-H groups and see if any of them have roosters they need to cull. When you hatch chicks, you will always have about half roosters, half pullets so the 4-H kids usually have extras.
If we sold our Roos here they'd go straight into fighting.

Recently we had to cull l one of our 5 month old cockerels due to aggression. Tonight our remaining cockerel flogged my son, twice. I know I have little experience but how on earth do you get a rooster who isn't human aggressive? I would really like to be able to hatch my own fertilized eggs. I also want my hens to be watched after. Is it just luck of the draw with roosters?
I have 9 excellent roosters. That being said...my young children are now grown so you may want to stop reading here. :) When I am in my roos area, I watch their body language and know when imminent attacks coming. I'll either walk up on them and push back until they turn their back and walk away or scoop 'em up and walk around with them for a bit. I talk softly, pet them and give them a treat before letting them go. This seems to calm them down for a few weeks then the cycle starts again. They're roosters, they're crafty and they know who is dominant and who is weak. Unfortunately in my experience, once a rooster has pegged a weaker person it's impossible to curb this behavior. If that person is a child, their safety is paramount. If you don't cull, then cage the rooster whenever the child is present. :)

I can't turn my chickens out in the mornings until I get my work done in the extension. Otherwise they're under my feet and get in my way .It's impossible to get any work done when they're around. I've never raised chickens this friendly before. Does NOT having a rooster in the flock make the chickens more open and friendly with people?This is my first time raising a flock WITHOUT a rooster.

Last edited:
I can't turn my chickens out in the mornings until I get my work done in the extension. Otherwise they're under my feet and get in my way .It's impossible to get any work done when they're around. I've never raised chickens this friendly before. Does NOT having a rooster in the flock make the chickens more open and friendly with people?This is my first time raising a flock WITHOUT a rooster.
No I don't think the presence of a rooster influences a friendly flock. For example, I have two leghorns that spent 18 months of their lives in a battery cage. I've had them for only four months and they are constantly weaving between my feet like a cat. They are so inquisitive and friendly. I did nothing to encourage this behavior. I have other chickens that do the same, but they were raised by me so I never thought anything of their friendly behavior. I can even get little pets on the leghorns' backs, although they don't exactly love that, they do tolerate it. I know what you mean though, I have a hard time getting to the pop door to let them out in the morning because they are so underfoot! I have three roosters and 22 hens.

Back
Top Bottom