How do you get a good rooster????

Pics
I had a lot of roosters that were so mean I had to carry a trash can lid in the coop and bat them away - they were home hatched Roadies. That was many years ago and I swore I would not have more roosters. But, I let a hen sit a couple years ago and low and behold she hatched a rooster. He was awful. Mean to the hens and hyper and we had to get rid of him. So, once again, no more roosters. But, my current batch of year old chicks happened to have a rooster - not planned. He is a ISA Brown and sweet. He takes care of his girls and he and I respect each other's space. He is a keeper. I talk to him and he is nice to his girls. Breed? If you home hatch you will get more roosters than you want that's for sure. I will say, the hens like having a rooster around! haha

i have drakes not roosters but also know people who have PET roosters. if you raise them like we do (cuddle with them, hand feed them, carry them around) they will be the nicest animals ever

my boys even let me dress them up and take them on adventures ❤️

Attachments

• 7504E990-0465-4C4D-A206-F6EA82F17066.jpeg
    7504E990-0465-4C4D-A206-F6EA82F17066.jpeg
    565.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 951D8FBF-41B4-4117-8DCD-FAA3BD6F32FF.jpeg
    951D8FBF-41B4-4117-8DCD-FAA3BD6F32FF.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 34EFD760-3D86-4839-B9B2-EF39FF30E741.jpeg
    34EFD760-3D86-4839-B9B2-EF39FF30E741.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 736D56FF-AD61-41C3-A8B1-6A088254BBC1.jpeg
    736D56FF-AD61-41C3-A8B1-6A088254BBC1.jpeg
    505.9 KB · Views: 1
Recently we had to cull l one of our 5 month old cockerels due to aggression. Tonight our remaining cockerel flogged my son, twice. I know I have little experience but how on earth do you get a rooster who isn't human aggressive? I would really like to be able to hatch my own fertilized eggs. I also want my hens to be watched after. Is it just luck of the draw with roosters?
I sell my roosters on Craigslist or donate them to 4-H kids as soon as they begin to try to crow. I can't keep roosters 😟 You could also check with your local 4-H groups and see if any of them have roosters they need to cull. When you hatch chicks, you will always have about half roosters, half pullets so the 4-H kids usually have extras.

I find that little roosters that are raised by big roosters are best behaved I free range and live by state park lots of predators have less than than the 10 hens per rooster recommended the extra roosters are "outlyers" I never cuddle, pet or let them come to me for treats make them move out of your space just like a horse or dog Would never however trust a small child alone with any animal The child has to be dominant as do you!

I think most rooster aggression stems from the way people act around them. Just like a horse will feed off of a nervous rider. I think roosters sense that also. In over forty years of raising chickens. I have had hundreds of roosters. Anything from popular barnyard breeds to game cocks that had to be kept separate from other roosters. I can only recall having three human aggressive roosters. Two became aggressive after being teased, when I was not around. The other was a modern game bantam. He was kinda feral. He always roosted outside. He evaded every attempt I made to catch him. He would fly from his tree, even when I went out in the middle of the night to try to get him. Every morning he would be crowing and pacing back and forth across the patio. As soon as I stepped outside, he would attempt to flog me. I would sweep him with the inside of my foot and roll him out into the yard. He would get up, shake his feathers straight and we would go about our days. Then do it all again, the following morning.

I believe it is mostly hereditary, with environmental playing a small part.
Doris is 3 years old. He was raised by a broody, and was petted and carried around (by me) from the day he hatched. He has been hand fed and treated like my hens. He is a mixed breed, blue orpington and easter egger. He weighs 12lbs and is 26" tall. Because of his size, I wouldn't have been able to keep him, if he were aggressive. Regardless of his size, I've never felt uncomfortable with him. I trim his spurs regularly, and I still feed him from my hand.
All of his sons have been gentle too . I've given many of them away, and kept in touch with people who've made pets of them.
I would never leave any children with him unsupervised, but I don't leave them unsupervised, with my (very mild mannered) dogs, either.
I wish that I could give you one of mine. They are all friendly.
If you really want a rooster, try and find a breeder, that has a friendly breed, and friendly stock.

I debated answering this as my ways are not in any Textbook but I have Always loved ALL animals; you just need to find a way to communicate with them. With chickens it's fairly easy, they Love treats and Hate being chased. At one time, I had over 60 Pullets laying eggs and 2 a two Rooster Team watching over them. All I hand raised from 2 days old. The two roosters were brothers, one mean and one more docile. The 'mean' one had some kind of issue with my Feet and would attack me from Behind, until one day where he sunk his spur, (at 1.5 inches), deep into my joint between my big toe and foot; Through the solid rubber boots I was wearing. Throughout raising them I would Talk to them like you would a dog and when they did what I Wanted, they got treats! When they didn't, I would scold them and give them Empty bags of treats, (frozen corn, carrots and peas). They may not be the Smartest birds but all 60+ of Mine figured out by my Tone if they were making 'Mommy' Happy and that their behavior determined if I was going to have a Full or Empty bag of treats. When my 'Dominant' Roo attacked me I screamed out in pain and started yelling at him and throwing small sticks in his direction. All the chickens froze and stared at me yelling at him. I addressed the flock telling them I was upset and NO Treats. I left my blood on my porch for them to investigate. Ended up in bed, (Foot elevated for pain and swelling), for 4 weeks on Heavy antibiotics for a massive infection in my foot. Once I was able to Walk on it again, I grabbed two small bags of thawed veggies and went out when all the chickens were back in the pen, right before bed. Shaking the bags and calling them over for treats, I placed a wooden block in clear view of the open pen. They hadn't seen me or had Any treats since I had been in bed. They were Very happy to see me and formed the usual circle for me to pass out treats.
***Not Everyone will Agree or Like how I chose to Teach them but I've NEVER, (and NEVER Will), torture an animal!!***
I walked in the pen, (with combat boots this time 😊), grabbed the rooster that attacked me, flipped him over and carried him to the block of wood by his legs. I Immediately lowered him so his head was resting on the block, took my machete and severed his head completely. All the chickens watched as I brought his body, and head, into the pen where I hung it up with the head on the ground just out of their reach. After washing my hands with the hose, I grabbed the treats and in my Happy voice, proceeded to pass them out, tossing the First handful Directly in front of the remaining rooster and telling him they were His responsibility now. He ate his favorite, (carrots), and called the others over and I finished emptying both bags as I was surrounded by hens waiting for their share. After that, they rarely went without their beloved treats and if any hens squabbles, Roo-Roo, as I came to call him, took care of it Immediately.
I apologize if I offended Anyone with my way of teaching, and some may think it cruel or even a bit morbid, but what I do know is it worked. I Loved going out and talking to my chickens and even built up a Rapour (sp) with Roo-Roo. Here is a n Texas, the vultures are vicious when hungry and will and Have gone after live chickens! Roo-Roo had several calls he used for his girls and One for Me! 1st time I heard it I had NO Idea what was going on but grabbed my pellet gun and big stick and went out to see Roo-Roo fighting with 3 vultures. I ended up Losing a hen and Roo-Roo was bleeding but I killed 2 vultures and scared the other off. After that, when Ever Roo-Roo made that call, rarely but when needed, I would come to fight along side him! After the 'Emergency' was under control, I Always told him he was a Good Boy and "OK Roo-Roo, you can handle it from here!!" I like to think he understood me. 😁😁
I'd be leery about admitting you killed a couple of buzzards. It is illegal by state and federal law to kill them. Game wardens do not recognize defense of your flock.

Back
Top Bottom