How do you get a good rooster????

I have raised my roosters depending on the rooster. Some roosters like attention, some like to be left alone. I have raised all roosters from chicks, and the only roosters that ever tried attacking me, (one that I recall) was an adult from someone else's farm, He stopped attacking same day, because he learned I was not afraid of him. I walk with purpose, in the coop with my chickens. I NEVER show fear. I do not ever offer a foot to attack or a broom to brush them off. My purpose is not to fight my roosters. If they come near me, I pick them up and carry them about. Soon they only come to me if they want to be picked up, or they ignore me.

Where I live, they don't approve of roosters. so mine does where a crow collar. (It is not a tight one.) He still crowed, so I put a bell on the collar. I have not hear him crow since.

My rooster is smooth, but has the gene of green egg laying frizzle/NN.

After I took over the chicken chores from my son, he told me he is very scared of our cockerel Bruno. This is because the previous one used to attack him so he is now scared of all cockerels. Apparently Bruno only attacked him when my son started to get nervous and then ran away, Bruno would give chase. So now I'm not sure if I should give him a second chance. Or is it not worth the risk?

After I took over the chicken chores from my son, he told me he is very scared of our cockerel Bruno. This is because the previous one used to attack him so he is now scared of all cockerels. Apparently Bruno only attacked him when my son started to get nervous and then ran away, Bruno would give chase. So now I'm not sure if I should give him a second chance. Or is it not worth the risk?
I think it depends on the roosters body language. If he puffed up his hackle feathers and flapped as he chased him, I would classify that as an attack. However, if he just ran after him, and didn’t show any signs of aggression, it might be ok. For example, our roo chased a child once, but he thought he had food, and wanted to get there before the hens (our fault for letting him run up to us for food). When the child stopped running, the rooster became totally disinterested. Definitely keep an eye on him though, and try to teach him that personal space is not to be invaded. Good luck!

I have raised my roosters depending on the rooster. Some roosters like attention, some like to be left alone. I have raised all roosters from chicks, and the only roosters that ever tried attacking me, (one that I recall) was an adult from someone else's farm, He stopped attacking same day, because he learned I was not afraid of him. I walk with purpose, in the coop with my chickens. I NEVER show fear. I do not ever offer a foot to attack or a broom to brush them off. My purpose is not to fight my roosters. If they come near me, I pick them up and carry them about. Soon they only come to me if they want to be picked up, or they ignore me.

Where I live, they don't approve of roosters. so mine does where a crow collar. (It is not a tight one.) He still crowed, so I put a bell on the collar. I have not hear him crow since.

My rooster is smooth, but has the gene of green egg laying frizzle/NN.
Never heard of anyone hanging a bell around their roosters neck to make them stop crowing .Does he still have to wear his crow collar?

My advice is don't let your son perform anymore chores around your rooster until he can confidently walk in front of the flock without "showing" fear or backing down from the rooster. If he's too young to do this he's too young to be around a rooster.The problem is your sons behavior not the roosters aggression.You don't have the fear he has and your rooster doesn't attack you.

I have been selling my roosters for so long, I generally sell to the same folks that I know for breeding or butchering. Sometimes I have 5 or 6 at a time to sell.
HOW! I have 5 cockerels I’m going to have to butcher because no one wants a rooster. Not even for free. I knew this would be the way it would be but you say you sell them? I want your secret! I’ve advertised in several groups and forums.

HOW! I have 5 cockerels I’m going to have to butcher because no one wants a rooster. Not even for free. I knew this would be the way it would be but you say you sell them? I want your secret! I’ve advertised in several groups and forums.
I have people that I deal with that I have gotten to know over the years - sometimes it's just a random person - but mostly people that I know. I put out a call to all of them first, if no one needs a rooster right then, I go to craigslist. I'm always selling chicks, not full grown roosters....I'm not sure I would buy a grown rooster unless I was going to butcher....I would figure I might be buying a problem someone was tired of fighting with! I have found that 4-H is a great resource, especially if you have a pure bred rooster. Plus, I never ask more than $10 (for the purebreds) and when I'm dealing with friends, I usually just give them away or trade for something.

Back
Top Bottom