How do you get ready for winter?

I actually don't do an extreme amount of preparing, other than stocking up on food, cleaning the coop one last time before the heavier snow rolls in that way it will eventually build up when winter comes and act as a natural insulation system. Also, I don't use corn in the summer except as a small treat with millet - but I give them some in the winter. Then I will make most definitely sure that the ventilation is perfectly fine but not drafty. And clip the hen's nails and rooster's spurs. Then they're ready! :)

Great info! Yes, I only feed corn in the winter also. It isn't necessary in the warmer months, that's just like junk food for them :lol:
My cockerel's spurs are just now getting long, so I'll only have to worry about that next year! :thumbsup

We change the lightweight summer bedspread for a heavier comforter.

:lau

I'm pretty hands off and keep things simple all the time, including winter. Having said that, I do more in the winter just to keep them healthy. In warmer months my flock free ranges, but I do my best to keep them cooped up with access to their run in the winter or when especially cold. Because of that, I feed and water more. I especially clean the coop much more often. We've had a few mild winters here the past couple of years so letting them out is a good thing to do when possible.
I just had a convo on here with another member regarding heat lamps. I use them, 2 of them. In addition to providing warmth I put their water pans close by to keep the water thawed. I hang them approximately 2.5' from the floor, and spaced several feet apart. I happen to have 2 pullets almost two months old that I have noticed sitting under them already.
Because they aren't free ranging I make sure to keep grit and oyster shell in a pan and I also toss some out in their run. If I still notice a soft shell or 2 I will mix some up in their feed.
As for bedding I use straw just because I happen to have it for the horse barn, etc already. Every week or so I shovel the coop out into the manure spreader and spread it to help the hay next spring/summer. I typically have plenty of horse manure as well so it works out. If I stay on top of it it's not a bad job.

Great tips! :goodpost: I use heat lamps, also :D I always let my chickens free range, the only time I don't is when it has snowed, or a coyote is prowling our area.

This is my first winter with my flock and here in Eastern NC the lows dip into the mid to upper 20's some time but most nights stay above freezing. Form what im reading my birds shouldn't need any extra heat source with our temps. Am I accurate to assume they will be fine without a heat lamp. Should i close my 4 vents at night. The top is rafters with vents as well and I planned to leave those open and close the side vents. Any thoughts?

20's is short sleeve weather (almost) here! No extra heat needed.

I would not use hay long term if you don't stay below freezing as it does mold. Here we freeze solid as a rock. In spring as things thaw we clean out the hay, though we have left it to compost in place in the run without any problems from it.

I mix hay in with my DL in coop and run year round. Every winter, I add a few bales of hay to the coop. They stay intact until the birds break them open, or until I do so. They make great multi level areas for winter time stress busters. I've never had issue with mold. When the flock breaks the hay up, it forms short enough strands that it mixes in easily with the leaves and other DL materials.

I only feed corn in the winter also.
Your 'regular' feed is not mostly corn?
This is a long cited myth, that corn makes them warmer.
Any digestion creates heat. There are some excellent explanations if you want to search it out, or start a new thread to draw it out. Actually the best explanation I've read was from a member no longer here, got tired of repeating themselves.

Your 'regular' feed is not mostly corn?
This is a long cited myth, that corn makes them warmer.
Any digestion creates heat. There are some excellent explanations if you want to search it out, or start a new thread to draw it out. Actually the best explanation I've read was from a member no longer here, got tired of repeating themselves.

Although I am not the OP of whom you have quoted, thank you for this info, I had absolute no idea. And I am sorry to those of you who may have thought my information about corn was misleading. I appreciate about finding this out greatly and now I know to keep my mouth shut about the warmth of corn. :lau

SPecific enough. Thank you! I probably would have the energy to fill the pool by hand when we disconnect the hose but I agree, I don't want to be breaking ice during the day. :thHowever, a lot of times during the day it is in the 40s here so that's good!:thumbsup Thanks again!:highfive:
Probably don't even need to disconnect the hose, then.. or maybe just unscrew it at night. I don't take it off for good until it's consistently in the teens at night or not above freezing in the day.

Although I am not the OP of whom you have quoted, thank you for this info, I had absolute no idea. And I am sorry to those of you who may have thought my information about corn was misleading. I appreciate about finding this out greatly and now I know to keep my mouth shut about the warmth of corn. :lau

No reason for you to apologize. This is (pardon the pun!) a hot topic, and gets kicked around every single year. There are those in the "give them corn to keep them warm in the winter". Then there are those who specify that it must be whole corn. Then, there are those (Aart and myself included) who say that simply providing balanced feed will do the trick quite nicely. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie, and IMO better for it to be a high quality calorie than a low protein filler.

So, Angry Hen, here's a ? back at you! Ever notice how you feel COLDER right after eating a meal? The body diverts blood from the periphery to the core to aid in digestion. So... is a hen going to feel warmer after she tanks up on corn or feed?

Back
Top Bottom