how do you get your chickens to eat bugs

Be patient and keep offering them. Sometimes it takes a while for them to figure out they are good.

I'll tell a story. One time when I harvested corn from my garden for canning, I wound up with a small plastic yogurt cup full of corn ear worms. I had about 20 eight-week-old chicks roaming in a mob so I dumped those worms on a patch of bare soil near them. The chicks saw them and slowly, very carefully started moving toward them. Take a step, stop, look around, take a step, stop.... A worm wiggled! Run away! Run away! But not to far. Once again, very carefully start moving toward them. Take a step, stop, look around, take a step, stop.... A worm wiggled! Run away! Run away! This went on a few times before a brave young cockerel grabbed a worm. I expected a game of keep away but nope. The mob hit that pile with a vengeance, those worms were gone in a few seconds.

I could tell less dramatic but still true stories where initially mine did not like other stuff at first. But eventually they did. It might take days or several times. At some point one of yours will decide those grubs or bugs are good to eat. Then they will all want one. Until that point, be patient but keep offering them.

mine it tends to vary from day to day what they want, but if it catches their fancy they sometimes roll backwards as they are so focused on catching it , the bug gets through the fence and away, and they are to concentrated on the bug and forget they are fenced in lol

some of my chickens like grubs, some don't. Some like the fresh stinging nettle that I toss in there, some don't. Some like the squash, some - oh forget that one, they all love the fresh squash, lol. I have one chicken that won't eat BOSS :eek:
they are crazy little individuals.
My chickens don't like watermelon like everyone swears chickens like :idunno who woulda knew

Back
Top Bottom