How Do You Go on Vacation?

I have a good friend that also owns chickens and lives down the street from me, so we pay her $5 a visit to put them in/out in the morning and evening, as well as keep food and water full. She also feeds the cat.
Same here! Feeds cats, lets them in and out, fills water, checks food. We give her 5$. She makes a lot of money off of us too, we go to the beach a lot for the fishing season. I am not the fisher lol! But the boys are.

I'll go away for one night. Our neighbor tucks in our ducks, and goats, and feeds our dog and cats. In the morning they take care of everybody again and we make sure to be home before dark. When our neighbor goes on vacation we take care of his dogs.

If one of my ducks stops eating it is an emergency that a neighbor or a pet sitter can't handle. They also won't be able to notice small personality changes in my individual flock members that will notify me of medical emergencies. Since my ducks are pets this is a big deal for me.

If it's just me gone, my kids take care of all the animals no problem. If I am taking them somewhere, we get someone to come and take care of everyone. The most recent time was a friend's 18 year old daughter but I have also had neighbors or other people. Depending on how long we'll be gone, I either have someone stay in my house or just have someone check in a few times a day (I have dogs so they need more visits than the chickens or lizard do).

I'm going to have to deal with this issue sometime this spring/summer when we go visit my in-laws. My chickens have never had anyone else but me take care of them. I'm hoping they remember me when I get back.

Anyone had that problem? Your flock not remembering who you are after an absence?

Back
Top Bottom