How Do You Guys Do Lockdown

Coturnix221

Chirping
Jun 6, 2020
I am wondering if I could keep my eggs in the egg turners during lockdown, but turning off the egg turner itself. What do you think of this? What are ways you do lockdown?

I am wondering if I could keep my eggs in the egg turners during lockdown, but turning off the egg turner itself. What do you think of this? What are ways you do lockdown?
What kind of incubator do you have? I just left the turner in for my quail, and it worked great. As long as they have room to hatch I think it is fine.

Not sure what your turner looks like. I take my turner out. Chicks make a mess when they hatch, it's easier to clean if I take it out. I would not want them pooping on the motor part especially.

My turner has sharp corners and places a chick's head, wing, or leg could get stuck. I don't need that extra excitement during hatch.

I have a forced air incubator so the temperature is the same throughout. With a still air incubator warm air rise so changing the elevation of the eggs could change the temperature they see. With many incubators that would not be a big issue but I don't know what your incubator or turner look like.

I lay my eggs flat on the incubator floor.

Not sure what your turner looks like. I take my turner out. Chicks make a mess when they hatch, it's easier to clean if I take it out. I would not want them pooping on the motor part especially.

My turner has sharp corners and places a chick's head, wing, or leg could get stuck. I don't need that extra excitement during hatch.

I have a forced air incubator so the temperature is the same throughout. With a still air incubator warm air rise so changing the elevation of the eggs could change the temperature they see. With many incubators that would not be a big issue but I don't know what your incubator or turner look like.

I lay my eggs flat on the incubator floor.
What kind of incubator do you use?

If your egg turner is the kind that just rolls them on their side, you will probably be fine. Will just be a little messier to clean off the turner afterwards. However, if its a turner where they stand up on the pointy end, you'll want to take them out and lay on their side. This is so the bird can position itself in the egg to prepare to hatch. I don't believe they can get a proper position in the egg, if it's still on pointy end.

If your egg turner is the kind that just rolls them on their side, you will probably be fine. Will just be a little messier to clean off the turner afterwards. However, if its a turner where they stand up on the pointy end, you'll want to take them out and lay on their side. This is so the bird can position itself in the egg to prepare to hatch. I don't believe they can get a proper position in the egg, if it's still on pointy end.
Lots of people hatch upright in cartons, and they hatch just fine. Just saying it's possible. As long as they aren't being turned they can hatch. My hatches aren't ever messy (not sure why). I never have to clean anything much. I just throw away the shelf liner and blow the white stuff out of the lid. That's all I ever have to do.

Back
Top Bottom