How do you keep your chickens laying throughout the winter?

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone is different. I sell my eggs so I like to have them lay it also pays for their feed but I have a lot of birds. When they slow down or quit laying I still have to feed them. If you have a small flock it's not a problem. I go through around a half ton of feed a month, not cheap. I do give them higher protein feed and they all have their night lights. In years past I put the lights on a timer until the timer died. Now I just leave them on. The birds still slow down now and then, but don't entirely quit laying. My pullets recently started laying and should lay well throughout the winter month. In the spring is when I get overloaded with eggs then it's hatching time for the next generation. I realize this is not for everyone. Most people have backyard flock for the eggs and sometimes for the meat too. There are some breeds that tend to lay better than others. Currently my Leghorns and Rhode Island Whites are laying very well while my Reds are just so, so. Good luck to everyone and have fun with your flocks...

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone is different. I sell my eggs so I like to have them lay it also pays for their feed but I have a lot of birds. When they slow down or quit laying I still have to feed them. If you have a small flock it's not a problem. I go through around a half ton of feed a month, not cheap. I do give them higher protein feed and they all have their night lights. In years past I put the lights on a timer until the timer died. Now I just leave them on. The birds still slow down now and then, but don't entirely quit laying. My pullets recently started laying and should lay well throughout the winter month. In the spring is when I get overloaded with eggs then it's hatching time for the next generation. I realize this is not for everyone. Most people have backyard flock for the eggs and sometimes for the meat too. There are some breeds that tend to lay better than others. Currently my Leghorns and Rhode Island Whites are laying very well while my Reds are just so, so. Good luck to everyone and have fun with your flocks...
I get it. With that many chickens I would need them to pay their way too! When you say reds, do you mean comets or Rhode Island?

Back
Top Bottom