how do you know it is time to say goodbye

So very sorry....
hugs.gif
I think you know in your heart, but it helps to voice it among friends.

I had a boxer named sierra for 14 years,she had lost a lot of hair around her backside and had some pressure sores for laying down.I thought for sure the vet was going to tell me it was time.he told me two things that let me know when SHE let me know. He told me we would get her sores healed and get a coat and she would be fine.....it happened just as he said.1st she stopped eating/ drinking.no matter what food.2nd she had a look in her eyes that told me she was ready.its like no other you will ever see.... and you will know.I had her another year.I cried for three days.she was like my own child..but just put your emotions aside and let him tell you.don't do things to drag it out for you. Many prayers.....

i just took my gramas bordercollie cross in not 2 weeks ago to help him over the bridge... we knew it was time, he couldnt hardly walk, and wasnt able to controll his bowels. the day we decided, he peeked around the corner and looked at us i swear he said ' i love you but i cant do this anymore'

prayers for you in what ever you decide, its hard to let them go...

I've had to do this with three dogs and two cats so far in my lifetime. I've always gone to the vet and held the pet while it was being done, crying all the while. It was the last love I could give my beloved pet. It hurts, but I know I've done what I could for them. I pray for a peaceful end of this situation for both of you. Yes, I still cry, even as I write this; it never gets easy. Bless you for loving an animal.

Sorry you are going through this. I was in this spot in June and it still hurts.

I read an article back when my first dog was going downhill. It recommended thinking of three things that are important to you and the dog. Quality of life/enjoyment type things. When the dog can no longer do/enjoy those three things, then it's time to make a decision.

My first two are always eating and drinking and being able to go outside to potty (if they need help that's fine with me). The third depends on the individual animal and what it likes. Each animal is different, so only the owner can really know what is important to their pet.

It never gets any easier.

Others have already answered. I agree. It's time.

That doesn't make it easier - I know. But you are doing the right thing. He's a lucky dog with a loving owner.
hugs.gif

It's always best to let them go if they are suffering. I know my Blade was on his way very soon, but he made it easier on me and went on his own before his appointment. Now I can remember him like this.....
32271_picture_009.jpg

instead of how he was at the end.

Sorry to hear you are facing one of the toughest decisions one has to make. As pets can't talk for themselves, so we must ultimately help them.
I had to have my beloved Fletcher put down, almost 3 years ago (come Feb.2011). I knew it was time, they WILL let you know when they are ready, you just have to listen (so to speak).

We made a big move to a new province, and at that time, he was 12 years old. Before the move, he was getting more and more tired, but, he was not ready to leave us, he couldn't stand to be away from any of us, especially my young daughter whom he loved more then anyone or anything, he was her constant companion and guardian.
We had only been moved to the new province for two months when Fletcher finally showed how the age was affecting him and the pain he was in. I took him for a walk along the ocean, and knew it would be his last real walk.
My hubby took him for a walk to the mail, and poor fella, couldn't make it up the hill.
I said to Fletcher two days before he passed that it was okay if he wanted to go... to be at peace and pain free. Two days later, he gave up. He went out for a pee, sat down in the grass , in the rain and would not get back up. I went out , helped him inside, in the kitchen he sat down, he laid is head in my hands. we stared into each others souls for one last time. he then laid down, never to walk again. Each time I got up , he'd cry. My 6 year old (at the time) daughter, drew him a picture.
I had my landlord drive us to the vet in a town 20 min. away, as the local vet said it wasn't an emergency and wanted me to wait until morning (this was almost at 10 at night)
It took me over an hour to give the nod to the vet. Hardest decision I've ever made, but, I knew it was the thing to do. It was the only thing to do.
I was so angry with myself for every time I ever scolded him.
I know he is pain free now, and the vet said he had never seen a dog with so little muscle mass, he suffered I believe from muscular myleopathy.
He hung in as long as he did, I believe, to be with his girl.
I wish you the best in your decision. You will know when it is right, even though it hurts so bad.
It's a decision you have to make on behalf of your four legged family member.
I still miss my Fletcher, always will, there will never be another dog like him for our family. I hold onto the memories, and it helped me by making a coffee table photo book. I feel blessed to have had him in my life for 13 years.

My favorite saying is:
DON'T CRY BECAUSE IT'S OVER, SMILE BECAUSE IT HAPPENED

Been in your shoes more times than I care to think about ... it is never easy, but as others have said, it is the last act of love and kindness we can show our beloved pets. My heart hurts for you.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom