How do you leave water for your chickens?

RubyLady

Songster
Jun 21, 2021
I bought a five gallon double wall galvanized waterer like the pic below but I'm constantly having to "burp" it or it doesn't keep the reservoir full. The reservior also gets really dirty even though it's about a foot off the ground.

I tried a bucket that I just kept full, but with so many mosquitos as it is, I opted out of that method pretty quickly.

What do you all use that actually works and doesn't invite mosquitos? Does anyone have a simple idea that works?

I also can't afford a new system and can't build a DIY one with parts and glue and all by myself right now so if you recommend one with the water nipples, that's good to know but I can't do it right now.

What did people do before there were fancy waterers?

9835_3_400x600.jpg

I use ice cream bucket and an old 1 gallon used bucket and (sorry)horizontal nipples that I have used since the were little. I agree you could use dog bowls and change them. Those are so hard to keep clean. My girls drink out of puddles when I water down pen maybe that's what they used to do. The cups came with a drill bit to install them I did it myself. How many chooks do you have. ?

I just have plastic tubs, they work well and no mozzies because I clean them out and replace the water every 2nd or 3rd day. (We have bantam pullets in most of the pens and they are hopeless at keeping theirs clean...)

I bought a five gallon double wall galvanized waterer like the pic below but I'm constantly having to "burp" it or it doesn't keep the reservoir full. The reservior also gets really dirty even though it's about a foot off the ground.
Those can work well, but they have to be perfectly level. Besides my DIY PVC nipple pipes, lots and lots of bowls. They stand in 'em, they drink from 'em, the water has to be changed daily or at least every other day. I add frozen coke bottles to keep them cool.

I like a crock. It is in the background of this picture. The milk jug insert was temporary, the crock had a crack and I put the milk jug in until I could test it the crack actually leaks (it doesn't). I also hoped it would keep the bedding out (it didn't). But putting the crock on top of the cement block does keep the bedding out. The lip of the crock is about five or six inches above the top of the bedding. Being under the poop board may help too.

Mosquitoes take ten days in water to mature so they are irrelevant - I replace the water far more often than that so the chickens have fresh water.

Good luck finding what works for you. I like this but will keep trying other things as I have time.

Attachments

• F72210A9-7AD2-413E-B6AA-73C677F94D18.jpeg
    F72210A9-7AD2-413E-B6AA-73C677F94D18.jpeg
    541.3 KB · Views: 25
I have a plastic version of your waterer, and I have the same issue. I enlarged the area above the air inlet to get a bit more water in the trough, but I still burp it periodically to fill it up. I also have a plastic bowl I keep out for them and freshen daily. My coop and run are close to water so it's not a problem to keep fresh. Mine will also drink from any dribble of water they see if I have the hose out, it seems to be a favorite pastime.

I also can't afford a new system and can't build a DIY one with parts and glue and all by myself right now so if you recommend one with the water nipples, that's good to know but I can't do it right now.
For about $20, you could build a horizontal nipple waterer. They are very simple to make and your water doesn't get dirty. If you have a drill or know someone with a drill. A bucket with a lid from a deli should only be a couple dollars. I added a link for the drill bit($4.98) needed and good nipples($9.49) from Amazon. I attached my article, how to build a heated waterer using horizontal nipples, so you know how to make it, heated or not, if you decide to make one now or in the future. If you lived close to me I'd make it for you, but you don't have a general location in your profile.

https://www.amazon.com/RentACoop-Pack-Make-Your-Waterer/dp/B07DVSL74D/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3V6PQNITC7FV3&dchild=1&keywords=horizontal+water+nipples&qid=1627091745&sprefix=horizontal+water+,aps,208&sr=8-5&th=1

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-11-...AcPctoLnyNT59EBqcgYaAnsJEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ock-tank-deicer-and-horizontal-nipples.74609/

I have one like yours. This one seems to need assistance a bit more than the last one I had (different brand). I need to check if it’s level bc I think it is not level.

So, the cheapest thing for you to do is to check if it is sitting level. Fix it if it isn’t level.

we also use the plastic bell shaped waterers. They work if not level, and are inexpensive at the feed store.

Back
Top Bottom