How do you light a gas furnace? BRRR HELP PLEASE!

1stepcloser

Poultry In Motion
10 Years
Sep 16, 2009
Dover, TN
Our furnace (which is an outside heating/cooling unit) is not working. It is only blowing cold air. I know for a fact it works or at least it did when we bought the house a few months ago (home inspector checked...felt the heat myself). This is the first morning it is cold enough to use and we are freezing! All I can think of is the pilot light is out? IS there a pilot light?

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED...WE DON'T HAVE MONEY TO CALL A REPAIRMAN.

The heating part of most central HVAC is usually in the attic. BTW, be sure the thermostat is correctly set for heat mode.

Whoops, reread the title, you said gas. There should be a pilot light in the heating component, but most stay on year round.

Last edited:
We turn our pilot out every spring. There is also a "summer" switch on some units. Even older units should have some instructions posted inside a door/cover.

You could find the name brand and google it. Somebody somewhere probably had the same problem.

All else fails, hang out with your chickens.
wink.png

Just be careful! If it's a gas furnace, you really need to have an idea what you're doing or you could blow something up.

Do you have a neighbor or friend who might be able to come over and help?

Thanks guys. DH and I looked at it and are totally loss. It is an outdoor unit so everything is sealed up inside of it. (((sigh))) $65 just to have someone look at it. I could cry. ***mentally kicking the thing****

Back
Top Bottom