How do you nicely tell someone.....

Quote:
Lemme be an educator here for ya. Fairs, rabbit shows all over allow others to show. There are two groups: Youth (which is FFA and 4-H) and Open which is everyone else.

I don;t do fairs because they require the rabbits to stay overnight and there are so many horror stories about people messing with them at night, I just won't do it.

Go to www.arba.net and click on shows on the left hand side, then choose your state or surrounding states. Check weekly because more shows are added all the time. They will list if it is youth or open. Mini rex have the softest fur on this planet. If you decide to show them, purchase the book Standards of Perfection from the ARBA site you so can begin to judge your own bunnies before you enter them. The book will list all of the disqualifications as well as what feature gets what points.

My Frenchs, the wool is 55 points. I LOVE that!!!! Good wool, good bunny. Any rabbit you show must have a pedigree. It also helps to spend the $20 and become an ARBA member. They send me free stuff all the time!!!

Quote:
But but but, you have to submit the pedigree once you reach three legs to get the grand championship registration papers...... I am cornfused now.

ETA: Or just to show? Not get a registration paper? HELP!

Last edited:
To show, you don't need one.

It looks like, in order to receive Grand Champion, they must be registered. And to be registered, they must be pedigreed.

But to just show, you do not need pedigrees.

Quote:
This is exactly what you say! If your friends is a breeder she'd understand this. I don't care what you're breeding but every breeding should be specific to your goal for that line. You can have a great looking animal that won't improve your line so you pass.

Hmmmmm, maybe I need to go and find me a few Mini-Rex buns.
smile.png
And do some research on showing. I've shown chickens & ducks but never rabbits.

Quote:
Ok, I know we have had our past issues, but I am more than willing to help you if you decide to show. I would, FIRST OFF, advise you to attend a few shows as an observer and see what is most popular in your region. Here, mini rexes are so competitive it isn't even funny. Other regions may be different. I encourage you to attend a show or two prior to committing to showing. Rabbit people are the NICEST of any show people I have come across, and I have shown ducks, chickens and dogs. There is NO snootiness to rabbit showing. It's like one big family. Everyone is really, honestly happy for anothers wins. Some of us even feel bad if a friend loses. Kinda sucks to be happy for yourself and feel bad for a friend.
hmm.png

I don't know about in the US but in England it works like this,

The British Rabbit Council are what people join up to, once a member they can attend shows. Rabbits entered
for classes must be a pure breed and will be judged according to the breed standards. Members purchase rings which are placed
on to the rabbits leg at a young age (it slides over the foot, when the rabbit grows the ring gives enough room for the leg but will not be easily removed
if it is the correct size). The rings are marked with the 'BRC', the year, a number and the ring size. If looked into the ring will give details as to who the rabbit
is registered to.

Pet classes are also held which anyone (member or not) can enter, rabbits in these classes do not have to be a recognised breed
as they are judged on their condition and depending on the show - the handler + their knowledge.

So to compete on a serious level things such as size and colour are very important.

If this person is a friend could you not be honest? Or say you will breed one litter as a trial to see what the young come out like. Even if the buck
is not of great quality putting new blood into the line might be a good idea....

iFairy x

Back
Top Bottom