How do you pack a Chicken?

I'd try "loose in the back of the station wagon." That way they could see the sights. The limo also sounds like a good idea.
gig.gif

A cardboard box with lots of shavings is ideal. This way they won't slide around when you but on the brakes. If you make it dark, they will sleep. They are a heck of lot easier to transport than a cat!

I use a dog crate with shavings, they just sit down and ride calmly, I had the radio on and certain songs and tones got a soft cluck from the 3 in the crate lol. they come right out looking for food. when I went to the poultry show, I saw that most hauled theirs in crates also, or boxes made for poultry.

I have found that they are a lot more calm when it is dark. So, I use a cardboard box with a few holes. I always make sure that they have a little bit of room to move, but not enough to make them bang up against the side when you turn corners, etc. You can put more than one to a box but it (obviously) needs to be bigger with a few more holes and room for all to wiggle a bit.

I don't think you will need to worry about it being too hot in the box at this time of year! (LOL)

Good Luck!

I use cat carriers. I took 10 roos to the processing facility that way. I was ready to kill them myself after listening them crow in the back of my SUV for 2 hrs.

Everyone else that dropped their birds off had old chicken crates, cardboard boxes, etc. My boys arrived in style, at least.
lol.png

Any type of carrier will do if not them a box for that short of trip.. If I take one or two of mine somewhere they usually like to sit on my lap and look out the window. Never had a bird freak out on me while driving.

This past week, i transported 2 of my boys on a car ride (to a butcher). It was an hour and 20 mins away but i loved my guys and wanted them to be comfortable. I carried them in a pet carrier in the passenger front seat, air on them and even stopped at a fast food place and shared my burger with them about an hour in (last meal). They seemed to like the noise of the radio on; clucking with certain songs.

Back
Top Bottom